Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Triggering the Egg Farm

First, my ER is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. tomorrow (Wednesday.) I have to be there by 9:00 (why an hour and a half early?) I am not allowed to eat after midnight so I figure by 10:30 I will be starving because I usually eat breakfast at 7:30.

Second, I became terrified of the trigger shot around 8:00 last night. They told me I had to do it at exactly 10:30 so I had to sit around and wait. I got confused about which needle to use to inject it because the RE's instructions weren't very clear. I finally had to call my friend Erin who is an IVF vet and was able to answer my questions and calm my nerves a bit. Then Dh began to freak out. I wasn't freaked out about getting a shot, Lord knows I should be used to being stuck by now, I was freaked out about someone with no medical training sticking that long-ass needle in my..well..ass. I mean surely it would touch the bone, causing me to yelp in pain and jump thereby causing more injury and possibly paralyzing me for life (it did none of these things by the way.) So, when 10:30 rolled around Dh just couldn't do it. I totally blame it on me because I was hysterical with fear and probably caused him to be afraid to hurt me. So I ended up giving myself the trigger shot, I stuck the needle in and had him inject the medication and pull the needle out. I think he felt bad, like he had failed or given up, but really, I totally blame it on myself. So, our first IM needle is done. I told Dh I don't know if I will be able to do the left side though and since we will need to switch sides when we start the PIO he is going to have to try again. The shot wasn't bad, the worst part was sticking it in to the skin, but once it was in I didn't feel it.

I woke up this morning feeling even more uncomfortable than I did yesterday. It is actually uncomfortable to walk. I cried a little this morning because of the uncomfortableness of it all and because despite sleeping I still feel exhausted. I have been drinking Gatorade and Ensure like it is going out of style per the doctor's orders and my nurse told me yesterday to stay away from water. I love drinking water so this is hard for me! I'm not sure I entirely understand why they are insisting on me drinking this nasty stuff but I think maybe it has something to do with keeping me from getting OHSS. I found a really cool video on You Tube showing an egg retrieval
Click Here. I thought it was pretty neat to see the follicles disappear on the u/s. Well, that's about it for now. The next time I update will probably be to tell you how many eggs they got. I might be resting so my amazing dh may make a guest appearance. I love you all and thank you for all of the wonderful comments!

P.s. My poor hubby has been diligently blogging and gets bummed because no one comments on his blog. I told him that he has to comment on other people's blog in order for people to comment on his. He said he does comment on other men's blogs but they don't comment on his and he said while he does read some of your blogs he doesn't know whether it is appropriate to comment and most of the time doesn't know what to say. Any suggestions? I know it can be depressing when you feel like no one is reading your blog.

11 comments:

Nadine said...

I only discovered you dh's blog yesterday, so I headed on over to have a read, comment, and add him to my blog roll.
I comment on men's blogs but, they never come over to read mine, i continue anyway because i figure that is the way a man is.
It's totally appropraite for a man to comment, and it can be very much welcomed. For example, today my post is about hockey, if he likes hockey - come on over and comment.
Glad the trigger is done, now it's just waiting until tomorrow.

Adriane said...

Good luck with the egg retrieval!!! I so hope it goes well and I hope you get some rest afterwards! The trigger shot sounded like quite an ordeal. I'm so sorry!

I typically don't comment on men's blogs, but that's because I haven't really stumbled across any!! I think it's perfectly appropriate to have both male and female commenters. :-)

GOOD LUCK TODAY!

sara said...

I'm so glad your first IM shot is done, seriously it only gets better from here. You're more of a pro now than you know! I can't wait for updates from tomorrow. I'll be sending some prayers up for you in the morning and thinking of you often! I think it's cool that your husband blogs and hope he gets some more traffic. I hope your uncomfortablness goes away soon and they get a lot from your egg farm. Thinking good thoughts for you...

Erin said...

I'm glad I was helpful last night. I wish I would have had someone to ask all my questions my first cycle. I showed some love on your DH's blog. I hope you guys have a smooth egg retrieval. I'll be praying for you.

CJ said...

I totally understand about not having comments on your blog. Luckily I have a couple of people but that's it. :( You of course!! Thanks again!! I am glad you got through the trigger! Not sure if my DH can do it either. You are such a trooper. Luckily, I've had no side effects of the Lupron, Gonal or Menopur meds. My stomach is a little sore, but its only been 3 days. I am not too far behind you, about a week. Good luck! I know they will get alot of eggs!! TTYSoon!

Penelope said...

Good luck tomorrow at the egg retrieval. I hope they get lots of eggs :) Glad the IM shot went ok. (((hugs)))

AwkwardMoments said...

Sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers for the egg retrieval! YAH

Nicole said...

Glad that you have the first IM shot done. We watched the video last night and now I'm so nervous for my husband to give me the injection. At least I have a couple of weeks to prepare.

My blog is set up by invite only (I don't want people from work stumbling across it) so I understand about not getting a lot comments. Most comments are actually from my MIL! Let me know if you want an invitation. I keep telling DH to check out your husband's blog. I think he will now that I mentioned your DH is into Baltimore sports.

Marcia9043 said...

Just wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow and hope that all goes smoothly!

Princesses in Muddy Puddles said...

How cute, I wish my DH would blog his perspective. Will be thinking of you tomorrow, good luck!

Maria said...

I'm thinking of you today and praying that you're recovering well from your retrieval and that they got tons of eggs!!

Sorry about all the IM shot fear and frustrations, they really worked me up too. I'm glad it went well in the end.

Tell your DH, that I think it's totally fine for men to comment on women's blogs.