Thursday, May 22, 2008

I’m Still Infertile

I’ve been thinking about writing this post for a couple of weeks now, actually ever since we got our BFP. Now I think it is the perfect time to write it. I never imagined myself actually seeing that second line, having a positive beta, and even seeing a heartbeat. Obviously, that was the desired outcome of all of the treatments we went through, but I could never really imagine any of these things happening to me. And even when they did happen, one by one, I thought of reasons why they might not be true. When I got my first BFP I thought for sure it was a faulty test, so I went out and bought another (well maybe a few), when that one was positive too I thought it must still be the trigger shot. When the tests continued to be positive I was sure it would be a chemical pregnancy. All through my betas I was sure something horrible would happen. Then the day of the u/s I was positive we would get some horrible news. I still worry that something is going to go wrong and take this baby away from us. The reason why I am saying all of this is because I want you, my fellow infertiles who are still in the trenches, to know that being pregnant didn’t make any of the hurt and pain go away. I still feel the sting of six years of disappointments and hurts. I know how incredibly lucky I am that it worked for us on the first IVF cycle. I know what a blessing that is. I know that so many of you have been through several cycles of IVF with no success. I can’t even express how much I wish this could be a reality for all of us. I know that there are days when you are still in the trenches (be advised that I do not consider myself out of the trenches yet, I’m not sure when that will happen) just can’t bear to read a post about BFPs, betas, ultrasounds, whatever. I totally get that because that has been me on several occasions. I know what it is like to have that awful feeling of jealousy about someone else’s good news and then feel terrible about it afterwards because you consider them a friend. Today I checked my bloglines and I lost a subscriber. I know it sounds silly but it made me sad. Not because one less person will be reading my blog, because I really started this blog for myself, but because the thought that someone may have “unsubscribed” because they couldn’t read about my pregnancy broke my heart. Maybe it’s not the case at all. Maybe this person just decided not to use bloglines anymore, or maybe they just sick of hearing me whine, but maybe they are just going through a really tough time and just couldn’t bear to continue reading. The thought that some of you are still experiencing the pain I have felt for so long makes me sad. I want all of you to know that it is okay not to be able to read if you feel like you can’t. Some days are better than others. And if you feel like you need to stop reading all together that’s okay too. The first three years of my infertility were the hardest for me. I will never forget the day my doctor diagnosed me with PCOS. We had already been trying for almost a year (I think.) I came home and bawled because I knew it was going to be a tough road ahead. I know our dreams of making a baby in the privacy of our home was over. So I began the grieving process. I was angry and jealous every time I heard a pregnancy announcement, and believe me there were quite a few throughout those three years. The next couple of years were much easier. I suppose because we took such a long break. I was able to think about other things besides IF and heal a lot. I also learned how to deal with the anger and jealously and I learned the most important lesson of all, how to turn it over to God. When we were finally able to begin treatments again (when I began this blog) I had a whole new outlook. I still felt some of those same old feelings creeping up inside of me, but this time I was able to control my feelings better and bounce back from things quicker. I am a seasoned infertile, I know how to deal with being infertile, I know all about infertility. But now I find myself in a confusing new place, albeit a place I have wanted to be for years now, still confusing. Now I am a pregnant infertile and that comes with an array of the same kind of emotions; fear, uncertainty, and most of all jealousy. Jealousy of those who can get pregnant in the privacy of their own home; Jealousy of those who are innocent enough to think that when they get pregnant it is a guarantee to bring home a healthy baby, and the crazy thing is, it usually happens that way for them; Jealousy of those who don’t know all of the things that can go wrong and therefore don’t wake up every morning wondering if their baby is still alive. I feel that infertility has taken that away, not only from me but from all of you. But, the main reason I am writing this post is not to share with you all of the things that infertility has robbed me of, but to share with you the things that infertility has blessed me with. Blessed you ask? Yes. Even though I would never wish this on my worst enemy, if I had a chance to go back and change it all I wouldn’t change a thing. Why? Because I believe that infertility has blessed me in many many ways.

· It has taught me patience. This was one of the hardest things for me to deal with. I am a fairly impatient person. I am used to being able to do something to get what I want. I wanted a college degree, so I went to college and got one. Infertility is different, you have to wait for everything that you want. This is a hard life lesson but an important one.

· It has taught me that I am not always in control. See above.

· It has taught me to think before I speak. We all know those comments we hate to hear; “Just relax,” “Take a vacation,” “You’re young.” Having been on the receiving end of those comments many times I have learned to think before I speak. You should never assume you know someone’s situation. You just don’t know how much something that you think is a harmless comment, or assvice as we all so lovingly call it, can hurt someone. I’m still working on this one. You can ask my Dh and he will tell you that I often speak before I think. I’m working on it though and getting better.

· It has taught me just how special the bond I have with my husband is. I know you gals will say the same but I truly think that my husband is the most wonderful husband in the world. When I first met Dh I thought for sure he was an angel, sent from Heaven just for me. He has brought me into a relationship with God and for that I am eternally thankful. He is my best friend. I never thought I would enjoy spending time with my husband as much as I do. Before I got married I always heard people complaining about how much they needed to get away from their spouses. I never feel this way! I love spending time with my husband and my heart breaks every single time I have to leave him for the day. The infertility that we have went through has only made our bond that much closer. When we first found out it was me “with the problem” I was so worried that he was going to blame me. I felt so guilty that I couldn’t make him a father when he would be such a great one. I was worried that he would resent that he married me. I was also worried that his parents would regret that he married me. He is an only child and the only hope for a grandbaby. But, none of those things were true. I realized that he felt the pain of infertility just as much as I did. He cried with me every time I cried, and it has made us stronger.

· And lastly, infertility has allowed me to make wonderful friends that I never would have met otherwise. When we first started trying I met a wonderful group of ladies over at WebMd. We got to know each other very well once everyone else on our message board got pregnant and we didn’t. Then we moved to communicating through e-mail. Three of us even met in Chicago. It was amazing to see that these women were real women, real people. Then we drifted apart, or I drifted away from the group. I can’t really explain it except that I was not in the same place emotionally that I am now. As each of them began getting their BFPs I began to realize that soon I was going to be the odd man out. So I kind of pulled away. Now I have had the pleasure of being able to speak with one of them again through my blog! It’s so amazing to see that she is still the wonderful supportive person that she always was. I think about the rest of them often. I wonder what’s going on in their lives. Then I met all of you! Starting a blog was the best thing I have ever done! I have made some amazing friends here and even though we have never met in person I feel incredibly close to every one of you. I know all of your stories and follow you daily. It felt so good to know that there were so many others who shared my pain!

So, I guess the point of this long-ass post is to tell all of you that I haven’t magically forgotten about the pain of infertility. And that in fact, pregnancy has opened up a whole new world of fears for me. But most importantly, that we are all learning something from this experience, even if it is sometimes hard to see. Sorry for the length of the post and I hope it makes sense.

18 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

i am "almost there" and i still feel this way. I feel IF prepared me for the pregnancy route..aka tests, more tests, waiting for results, having to redo tests, wait in dr's offices once a month (most times more), making small goals, losing friends, must more assvice then a landmind can hold etc. you get my point. I lot alot of readers due to my current state. You will notice new readers and maybe less comments- but it will fluxuate. Know that there are plenty rooting for you!
It's a weird space to be .or it was for me ..im sure if you want some company go back to my oct-jan and you will see

Beth said...

I loved your post. You so elequently (spelling?) put all of my thoughts & worries into a post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, your post makes sense!!! I am happy things are going well....it is so frustrating what IF does to you and people on the outside just don't get it....I had been trying for 3 1/2 years and my best friend who was SINGLE and having an affair with a married man called and said she had gotten pregnant...Another thing I think about is all the teenagers that don't care and don't think and end up pregnant and don't even understand the blessing and miracle it is....It is just hard...I am praying peace for you and DH throughout this pregnancy and that sweet doozer continus to thrive! Have a great holiday weekend!!!

Meghan said...

I'm sure you've seen from my recent posts that at almost 24 weeks, I still think and feel like I'm still battling IF. I read in someone's blog awhile back that pregnancy doesn't cure infertility, it just masks one symptom of it.

Hope you get more and more confident in this pregnancy as your little Doozer grows and grows

CJ said...

Hey Morrisa, I really enjoyed reading your post and I am so glad I met you through blogging also!! We will both meet are little babies in 9 months! :)

poppy.f.seed said...

I just found your blog and am happy to read this. I agree that infertility can give you strengths/blessings you didn't expect. I am still in the struggle(doing IVF #1), but I already have noticed myself learning some of the things you mentioned. Esp. the control(still working on that), thinking before I speak and amazing new friends.

Princesses in Muddy Puddles said...

I'm still here. I've never used those subsriber things.

Agata said...

You never leave that part of you. IF affects your life, your mental health, your physical health, your marriage, your friendships, everything. Having a baby brings joy and love and peace but the IF part will always be a part of you. My daughter is 2.5 now and I still remember the 2 years of BFNs, the tears, the neverending doctor appointments, the 2 chemical pregnancies... What you're feeling is completely normal. I think that because of my own experience, I am terrified of TTC again. We'd like to have another child, but I think back to TTC and all I remember is pain...

Your pregnancy is a wonderful blessing. I cannot wait to see pictures of your baby and see her (I think it's a girl, hah hah) take away the pain of the last 6 years. The memories of the pain will still be there, but the actual pain will subside.

And now I am crying again because I'm so happy for you guys...

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, it's not the betas and ultrasounds that bother me... It's the women who are nearing the end of their 3rd trimester and getting ready for baby. I'm not looking forward to pregnancy, just because I've seen so much heartbreak and I know that a positive test doesn't necessarily always mean a baby. I'll worry through my entire pregnancy, I think... But the women who are gearing up for labor, buying cribs, bringing home snuggly new babies? Those are the ones that break my heart. And I generally take a break from those blogs until they are miserable from sleep deprivation.

Kristine said...

I don't think I really let myself feel pregnant until the last trimester. It was strange for me, knowing after almost 7 years I was finally pregnant, but not quite believing it was happening to me. I did finally get there and now I have my little boy.

As for all those feelings of infertility...they are not as painful for me now. Maybe it's because I'm finally where I wanted to be. Maybe because I know this is it for us, our family is complete. I certainly haven't forgotten, but I can recognize I am through it. Now I can focus on what I do have.

Nadine said...

Wow, that was a great post. Yes it is sometimes hard to read about all the pregnancy stuff, but, at the same time, I feel like i've been with you for all the bad stuff, that I deserve to get to share in the joy and happiness too? Why should I only surround myself with reading about the hard times, when I could read about the good times too!

I was in Toronto all last week and had no access to the internet - so no worries, i haven't dropped you!

andrea said...

i just found your blog through NaComLeavMo - and this post was really great to read. I am "just starting" [well 6months] the TTC journey and already feel a lot of heartache each month it doesn't happen for us - but i have found strength in numbers and through my husband as well.

congrats on your pregnancy - I wish you nothing but the best!

Busted said...

I firmly believe "Once an infertile, always an infertile." Even if you are surrounded by children someday. Because of this, I try to be able to continue reading and following the stories of those who are "moving on", because I know others continued to support me when I was that happy pregnant woman. I think it's very sweet of you to write that you understand those who don't though. Congrats again on finally "getting there".

Kim said...

Congrats! I too believe that I will always be an infertile - even three kids later! Also, I too see the silver lining in being an infertile - it has made me who I am today - and I think a better Mom!

Penelope said...

Congrats on your BFP!! I'm so happy for you! :)

Your post means a lot to me. I'm currently still in the trenches but yeah IF has changed me in some good ways. It gets easier and harder at the same time. Its really strange. I agree, I've met some wonderful and very strong women through this and thats made it so much easier. ((hugs))

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

dropping by for NaComLeavMo - Hi! :)

This is really a wonderful post. It's got me thinking about whether I'd refer to myself as infertile anymore since it's been several years since we stopped trying officially. (If you want a quick overview of my experiences, click here). I think I just don't talk about it any more, and I try not to think about it either. But then things like NaComLeavMo come up and I find myself back in the trenches, reading along with everyone else.

Sorry for the rambling ... you just 'got me thinkin'...

DC said...

I found your blog through NCLM and am so glad I did. I love this post! I am finally beginning to discover the "silver lining" of my IF: the fact that it has brought me and my hubby closer, the patience and compassion it has taught me, the friendships I've developed, the existing relationships that have been stregthened.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope your infertility journey has a blissfully happy ending!! :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, what a wonderful post. I had a relatively short journey to my first (hopefully not only) baby, but every single day of that roller coaster was torturous and changed me forever, in both negative and positive ways as you explain very well here. I didn't start blogging until the very end of the TTC process, so there is no archive of my struggle for people to read who visit my blog, other than three long posts I wrote about it after the fact, and I've always felt sort of not part of the club because of that. So I totally get what you're saying about it making you sad to lose a reader. But you're very much entitled to your happiness and many people out there are sharing it with you.