Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Flu

The Flu: No, not me! My Dh came down with the flu this week! My poor baby is very very sick and I feel so bad I had to leave him at home today. He stayed home Tuesday because he didn't feel well and called me around 3:30 saying that he caoucn't get out of bed and was shivering. He was also complaining that his body ached really bad. So I went in and told my boss I was going to go home. He looked at me like I was crazy because I was going to go home because my husband was sick. My dh never gets sick and he is not a complainer so I know that when he says he doesn't feel well he must really feel awful. When I got home Dh was laying in bed, shivering and covered in sweat. He was burning hot. I took his tempreature which was 102.5. I realized that I had no groceries in the house because we were supposed to go grocery shopping that night. The only vehicle we own is a stick and I can't drive it. So I had to call my FIL to come and take me to the grocery store so I could get some sick-friendly food. While I am getting Dh some tylenol and seeing to him one of my cats decides to throw up in the hallway, simultaniously the other is busy pooping on the floor in front of the litter box. So, while I am literally mopping sweat off of dh I have to clean the throw up in that hallway and clean the poop off the floor. Dh was as sick as I have ever seen him. I had to try so hard not to cry because I hated seeing him in so much pain. I stayed home with him yesterday and I honestly don't care if my boss thinks I'm crazy for staying home to take care of my husband. My boss is getting his wisdom teeth pulled today and says he is coming in to work afterwards. Sheesh! I did leave my Dh at home today because I didn't want to take any more time off of work but he still had a fever when I left this morning. I am so scared I am going to catch the flu. I slept on the couch and washed everything so hopefully I wont get sick!

On the IF Front: I want to apologize for not commenting as much on your blogs. I still do read them but I just can't find the words right now. I am in that waiting period and I don't even know for sure what we will be doing (as far as IUI v. IVF.) It is in the hands of my insurance company at this point. I just came off of a 2 year break, did one cycle, and then went on another break. So I have nothing to report on the IF front and I find myself not knowing what to say to others as well. I am tired of all the waiting. If we will be doing IVF I wont be able to start until March because I have to wait to be able to cash in my 401k in the end of Feb. I feel like the whole IF world will be moving on without me. Don't get me wrong, I hope all of you do "move on" but at this point I'm just not sure what's going to happen next. I guess this is my feeble attempt to explain why I haven't been around as much as usual. I mean this is an infertility blog right? No one wants to hear about my personal life. But sorry folks, that is all I have to offer at this time. So please bear with me and hang around because I promise that eventually I will have something to report on the IF front.

Taxes: After doing our taxes the other day DH and I realized that we will be getting much more back than usual this time! We wtill have to enter the money we paid on our student loans but so far it looks good. We are wondering how to spend the money now. Obviously, the resposible thing to do would be to put it in savings and use it towards the IVF. But, we need a new TV desperately. Our TV goes back about once an hour and you have to literally bea thte crap out of it to get it to come back on. We really want an HD tv but we are hesitant to spend the $600 plus on it. I don't want people around us who have helped us so much with our yardsales and all to see that we bought a new HDTV. I dont want people to think that we are selfish or anything. The thing is, we have given up so many luxuries to save money for IF treatments. We have not been on a real vacation since our honeymoon, we haven't bought anything for ourselves or the house, we don't even buy new clothes. I wear the same two pairs of pants to work every week and alternate between three shirts because my clothes are starting to fall apart because I wear them and wash them too much. Don't get me wrong, we have money, we just are afraid to spend it on ourselves. I finally broke down and ordered three pairs of pants and two tops online this week. We have money to do these things we are just worried that we will need it for the IVF. As a result we are living well under our means. So, part of me rationalizes that we have every right to treat ourselves to a small luxery. Plus it wont take all of our refund and we can put the rest in the bank. I'm not sure yet what we will do.

Well, I guess that's about it for now. I will be back to post once I think of something to post about.

8 comments:

Erin said...

I say treat yourself to the TV. I know what you mean about people helping you and feeling bad. People offered to help us, but we insisted that we could do it ourselves. I now wish we had taken their offer. We ended up taking 20K out of our savings for IVF and now we need more for PGD. We are waiting until March for our tax refund. People have suggested credit cards and loans, but we have been debt free since we got married. We don't even have car payments! I am reluctant to go into debt for IF treatments. Anyway, get the TV. You deserve it!

AwkwardMoments said...

sending you my thoughts

Anonymous said...

I say treat yourself, too. One cannot live a life of complete ascetism without religious reasons, imo. Heck, even when I'm bone poor I'll still buy a nice soap or a book or a sweet something.

You've got a lot on your plate and to be honest, while we readers love to be caught up and all, you need to take care of yourselves first and foremost! We'll still be here.

The Beauty Junkie said...

So glad to hear that your brother will be getting help. And I am sorry that your DH was so sick. Poor guy. I know what you mean about the money. I'm a 2 pair of pants and 3 skirt owner of work cloths. But sometimes you have to treat yourself. I bought my DH a nice flatscreen TV for Xmas. I cringeed at dropping about $600.00 on a TV but it was well worth it. Buy your TV, a new outfit, and save the rest!

Adriane said...

I agree - get the TV. You definitely deserve it!!

Sorry you are in waiting mode again. That is such a frustrating part of IF! Please keep us updated, though!

Rebecca said...

Treat yourself...you've been being so good that you need a reward. You'll thank yourself for it in the end!

Evil Stepmonster said...

Absolutely get the TV! Life's frustrating enough without having to put up with a broken tv.

I hope the situation with your brother works out ok. Maybe this incident with his girlfriend will scare him straight?

Take good care of your DH, but i hope you don't catch it.

Maria said...

Definitely treat yourself!!

So sorry that your hubby's sick. I'm glad that your brother's going to be getting help.