Monday, January 14, 2008

What the hell?

Okay, my nurse just called to tell me my beta was negative. Duh! Then she asked how many cycles of injectables my insurance company wanted us to do before approving IVF. I told her they didn’t give me an exact amount of cycles but they approved me initially for 24 visits so we have enough visits to do another round. I asked her why and she said because maybe we could move on to IVF. I asked her what my RE thought about doing another cycle with the injectables and she said that “it isn’t his preference.” She said he wants to move on to IVF, he wanted to go straight to IVF anyway but only agreed to do the injectables since my insurance company insisted. She said she was going to call my financial coordinator and see how many cycles I need to do before moving on and call me back. I didn’t know what to say so I said okay. The problem is, I’m confused. I understand that the injectable cycle didn’t get me pregnant but I did ovulate which is good. Everything went well with no major setbacks so I cannot understand why my doctor is so eager to move on to IVF. I am just a little concerned about why the rush for moving forward with IVF? We have enough money right now to do another round of injectables but we won’t have the money to do IVF until February when I can cash in my 401k. And even then we will only be able to afford ONE round of IVF, that’s it. We might be able to afford one round and an FET if we got lucky but that would be it. After that there would be no money left for anything. No money left to do any more treatments and no money left to pursue adoption. If DH got a job that had normal insurance then we could do more than one round due to Maryland mandate. But I am upset. I was all gung ho about skipping straight to IVF before but now that the injectable cycle actually made my body do something I am not so sure. I know tons of ladies including many of you with PCOS who conceived using injectable/IUI cycles. So why is my doctor so eager to move on. I realize that I have been on this TTC journey for many years, I realize I have done my full lifetime of Clomid cycles with no success (but I only ovulated a couple of times anyway.) If you look at the years of TTC alone (over five) it does looks as if we are getting to the end of the rope, but two of those years were breaks and most of the cycles were cancelled cycles. I am worried that this is becoming about money. Sure, I would love to do the shared risk but I don’t have $25k just lying around anywhere. My nurse did call back as I began writing this. She said the bottom line is that I did nine treatment cycles with their office total and that even though only a few of them were ovulatory it doesn’t seem like what they have been doing is working. She said my RE really thinks that IVF is the key and thinks the odds that the first try will work for us. That’s all fine and dandy but I am just not so sure. I mean doesn’t it take normal couples sometimes six months to a year to become pregnant? I haven’t even had six ovulatory cycles? She said that the doctor doesn’t think it is responsible medicine to continue doing these cycles with no positive outcome. She is going to have the RE call me tomorrow. I wish I could finish this post but I have to go home now. I will update tomorrow.

2 comments:

Evil Stepmonster said...

I was upset when my RE said I should move on to IVF. I thought IVF was the last resort, and I wasn't ready to for that. But I realise now that because I wasn't ovulating properly my previous treatment was really just a waste of my time and money.

Don't forget that you are the client, your RE can offer his opinion but the ultimate decision is yours. Easy for me to say I guess, our healthcare system is not as brutal as yours.

Glad your weekend went well.

AwkwardMoments said...

I have erased my comments 3 times now: I really hope this is not offensive:

So this is the post you get now:

I agree with the above poster. This is your body, your money and your treatment plan. You need to do what you feel is best for you. You need to go at your pace and with your gut feelings. With realistic goals .. (as iui goal was ovulation - i think that was excellent, that was my goal as well)


I am very unsure how i feel about your clinic's nurse dropping the IVF bomb on you over the phone with a negative beta result. IMHO that is just insensitive as all get out.

BUT again, this is your body. I know alot of people think IUI's are not the best way to go for the money (biggest bang for your buck kinda deal). I have PCOS, i also don't ovulate. I don't get pregnant because i don't ovulate .. If I don;t ovulate, I have a 0% chance of pregnancy. WIth Ovulation, I join the playing field. (as does anyone ovulating) I ovulated on my first IUI, I didn't get pregnant. But that goes with the territory. It doesn't mean that at some point it cannot work. Alot of fertile women that ovulate do not get pregnant every time they ovulate either.
That is the mystery. I looked at it as every cycle i ovulated, I was one step closer to the goal. We did set a limit on how many IUI's we would do before IVF. In fact, we had already but most of the testing that is required to move to IVF... But I wanted to give my body time to adjust to the injectibles and iui's. Now i know that there are red flags for IUI's and we were ready and prepared if our dr wanted to discuss those and thought it would be better to seek ivf. But my RE suggested we try up to 6 iui's before moving on. My husband and I told our RE that we had dicussed it and were willing 3 maybe 4 before moving on. Not everyone is the same .. that is the frustrations with treatments. ya know. I long windedly said all that to state that If it were my situation, I would request a meeting with the Dr and discuss IVF at length. Ask him what he is basing his opinion off of. He may have some info - versus over the phone with the nurse.

Morrisa you re in my thoughts (and prayers) this is hard news to process and I think you got a raw deal!