Monday, March 17, 2008

Monday...blah!

Happy Monday to all out there in the blogging world! I am continuing to read everyone’s updates but I haven’t really commented much. It’s not that I don’t want to comment but I often feel like I don’t have anything to say. I had a pretty good weekend, at least for the first half of the weekend. On Friday we relaxed and watched tv, nothing too exciting. On Saturday we got up early and headed to the MVA to renew my driver’s license. My picture on the new license really looks like a mugshot!! I might scan the picture just to show you. Then we headed off to the party store to pick out table covers, napkins, and plates for Dhs party. I knew I wanted a variety of bright colors (it is a 70’s party after all) and had a nice blue shade picked out for the table covers when Dh comes striding up to me with a hideous orange color! He insists that he wants this orange color as the table covers. No matter how much I tried to talk him out of it he wouldn’t budge so I ended up getting the orange table cover, with green plates, and blue cups (they all match the 70’s disco party napkins we found.) If anyone knows me they can vouch that it takes a lot for me to give in, and for me to give in to purchasing the hideous orange table covers is really an accomplishment. But, how could I say no, he was so insistent and it is his party. I found out later that the orange is the same color of the dukes of hazard car (which is why he likes the color.) So he won that battle, but I will still win the rest! Then we went grocery shopping which we needed to do desperately. We spent the rest of the day doing a good spring cleaning. It was a fairly nice day and we were able to open the windows for most of the day. My sweet little kitties got to bask in the sun and smell the fresh air which they always enjoy. It was so cute to watch Sarah (the grey one) chase her shadow, so cute! We watched the Borne Ultimatum (the third one in the series on Saturday evening.)

On Sunday we got up early to eat cereal for breakfast before church. We did our music cantata this Sunday. I am still suffering from my cough and I noticed that sometimes when I sing nothing comes out, but I did my best. I also notice that I have a talent, I can make the palms that they hand out on palm Sunday into little crosses! We then went to the in-laws house so that MIL and I could scan pictures for a slide show I am doing for Dh’s birthday party. We were scanning when Dh’s grandmother came over in tears (his grandparents live next door to his parents.) Dh’s grandfather has been sick for a long time. Two years ago we found out he had lymphoma and he has been in and out of the hospital since. The cancer was in remission for a while but we think it is back. I think he is finally tired of fighting. He doesn’t want to do the chemo again and refuses to have a biopsy done on a nodule they found in his lung. He is 84 years old and he has made peace with facing his own death and knows exactly where he is going. Yesterday he was having a lot of trouble breathing and we had to call an ambulance to take him to the hospital. He has a very low white and red blood cell count and is so weak he can hardly move. They are going to do a blood transfusion but are waiting for another doctor to look at him. It is hard to see someone suffer so much. I feel so bad for Dh and his family. Dh’s father is understandably upset and you can tell he is very stressed over everything that is going on, it is never easy to lose a parent. It seems that no one knows the prognosis. Obviously we know that there is no cure for his cancer but we do not know the severity of what he is currently suffering from and how much time he has. I don’t see my Dh cry often, but when I do it breaks my heart. So, please pray for Dh’s grandfather and that he will not suffer in pain and that whatever the outcome is meant to be that his family will find comfort in knowing that he will be with our Savior when it is his time to go.

On the IVF front, I have been taking the BCPs with my dinner and have been having awful side effects. Every night after I take them I feel nauseous. I thought taking them with food would help but it doesn’t. I don’t remember ever having this kind of side effect when I took BCPs to actually avoid pregnancy (a lot of money wasted now that we know better.) I am assuming that this is a much stronger dose than I am used to which is why it is causing the side effects. I am hoping that over the next couple of days my body will get used to them and the side effects will subside. Has anyone else had this problem with the BCPs? What did you do? I also have my mock transfer scheduled for this Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. I am told it is quick and painless and I certainly hope it is nothing like an HSG! Honestly, I am getting a bit annoyed with my fertility clinic. I have been going there for over three years now and I have never had a problem with them. But it seems that lately they are not taking the time to explain things to me. Maybe it is because I have been there so long and they assume I already know. For example, I never ever see my doctor anymore. My RE used to do the u/s so I would see him every time I went in, he would also call with beta results and to explain what he wanted to do next. Now they have an u/s tech that does the u/s and the nurse calls me with my beta results. So I never see or talk to my doctor at all. I am still feeling confused about the whole IVF process in respect of when to schedule certain things. For example, my nurse e-mailed me my protocol but it made no mention of when I should schedule my mock transfer. So, I responded to her e-mail and asked her when I should schedule my mock transfer. She wrote back and told me that I should schedule it during my BCP phase, “earlier rather than later.” Well gee, good thing I asked because I wouldn’t have known to do it! So I called this morning to schedule the mock transfer and the receptionist didn’t give me any kind of instructions on what to do. I asked her if there was any special instructions, ie. do I come in with a full bladder like the actual transfer? She said she didn’t know. So I e-mailed my nurse again and asked her if there was anything I needed to do (I am sure she is regretting e-mailing me my protocol thereby giving me her e-mail address.) I just feel like I am not getting much instruction as far as what to do. I still don’t know when or how to pay my deposit or when to sign the consent forms. I know this clinic is supposed to be the best in the state, and I do trust my doctor, but I feel that they are losing that personal touch which made it so nice before. I guess it will all work out, I just want to make sure I am doing things correctly. Well, that’s all I have for now…

4 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

ahh kitties basking in the sun! and orange table clothes .. that is a busy weekend.

I am so sorry to hear about Dh's grandfather. That is just so heartbreaking. Your family is in my prayers.

I am sorry that you feel like your office is losing it's personal touch and the bcp's are not being nice to you - praying for that too

The Beauty Junkie said...

Okay you need some dag gone instructions from your RE's office. They need to assume that you have no clue about IF in the first place. How rude.

I will pray for your DH's grandpa tonight. I truly will.

sara said...

I'm so sorry about your husband's grandpa..I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad your mock transfer was good too. I didn't get much instruction for mine either. Sometimes I get annoyed at my office too since they often leave out information for me. I wonder if they think I already understand some stuff since I'm a nurse anesthetist..well the truth is that I don't...fertility stuff is all a blur to me! I hope you get the answers you need...keep me posted!

Rebecca said...

I think you may want to ask for an appointment with your doctor...I can see your point that they may think you know what you're doing, but this is your first IVF cycle and you need more specifics!

I used to get side effects from the BCP, but then my GYN told me to start taking them right before I go to bed...no more side effects. Good luck with the mock!