Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mock Transfer

I had my mock transfer today! Here’s the play by play for those of you out there who are looking for that sort of thing:

We arrived at the clinic at exactly 8:30. I was given a consent form to review and sign. This is when I found out that I was also getting the saline sonogram (there is a real name but I am too lazy to look it up.) I immediately freaked out because I thought it would feel like the HSG and I didn’t get my friend the torodol shot and I was afraid I would pass out on the table again. We were called back to he room and I was told to empty my bladder and undress from the waist down (same old same old.) Dr. O came in and explained the procedure to me and what to expect. Dh was allowed in the room and stood by my head and held my hand. The Dr. inserted the speculum (on a side not, does anyone else hate this thing more than the fanny cam? I can never get used to the speculum) and then inserted the catheter I did feel some mild af like cramps when the catheter passed through my cervix. The doctor then removed the speculum (thank God!) and began to put the saline into my uterus. It was really kind of cool to see a little pocket fill up with the liquid. You could see it get bigger as more liquid was injected. The doctor said all looks good! So yay, no aliens hanging out in my uterus or anything! I did also ask Dr. O about whether the fact that my left ovary is very difficult to find will make it hard to retrieve the eggs from my left side. He said it can cause a problem or make it difficult and sometimes in extreme cases they cannot retrieve the eggs from one side due to a bowel being in the way and them being unable to move it but he also said that most of the time they are able to push things out of the way to get to the ovary so hopefully that will be the case for me. I was then told to get dressed and meet with our nurse and sign our consents. It was a fairly quick process because we already knew what decisions we would make regarding freezing embryos and such. We also got a video to show us how to do the IM shots so we cont have to take the whole injection class and miss anymore time from work. Dh will go tomorrow and pay our deposit since he forgot the checkbook today (silly Dh). I also got the prices for all of my meds and they should be ready to pick up in a couple of days! I am finally starting to get excited about this whole process! I’m still scared to death and I have already conjured up every possible scenario of things that can go wrong and convinced myself that more than likely one or all of them will happen to me. But, I have to trust in God that He is leading me down the right path.

In other news, Dh’s grandfather is very sick and it looks like he may not have much longer so our family could use some prayers as we know we have some tough times coming up ahead. I wish this didn’t have to happen so close to Dh’s birthday party (or anytime really.) I will update when I know more…

7 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

I am very glad the appointment went well and you are feeling as well as you can feel about IVF!

praying for both

sara said...

Prayers coming your way for your family..and I'm glad your mock transfer went well!

Adriane said...

Sounds like the mock transfer went well! I bet you are excited to start the real deal. Good luck!!

Skank Whore Hater said...

Thank you so much for your comment today. It was the encouragement I needed to hear knowing I was doing the right thing.

I will pray for your dh's family as well.

Cece said...

Oh! Exciting! You are almost ready to gogogogogo!

Sorry to hear about your DH's grandfather. I'm thinking of you both.

Penelope said...

Thanks for the welcome to the blogging community.

Glad your mock transfer went well...I'm crossing my fingers for you :)

The Beauty Junkie said...

My god. That sounds horrible. I can't wait for the real thing. I prayed for your DH's grandpa.