Thursday, March 13, 2008

IVF Protocol

Well, I am officially an IVF patient! I got my protocol from my nurse this morning and I will take my first BCP tonight. I will be taking Lupron, Follistim, and Menopur. I was interested to see I will be doing Follistim instead of Gonal F because I see most people take Gonal F but the only thing I can think is that because I used the Follistim with my IUI my doc knows it works for me. My nurse also told me that I will be monitored every day while on stims as opposed to every other day due to my "very polycystic ovaries." This is the first time I have ever heard this. I mean, I obviously know I have PCOS but I didn't know it was more extreme than other cases. That scared me a little bit. What if I am too PCOS and things don't work for me? I am so scared of either overstimming or not stimming at all. But, I trust my doctor and I know he will take good care of me. Honestly, this whole IVF process is so daunting and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I guess this is a normal reaction though. I am excited to start but scared of how it could turn out. It is sobering to realize that we will not be able to jump right into another IVF cycle if this one fails. We would have to save up all of the money again or wait until either Dh or I get a job that has insurance that covers IVF. But for now, I know there is no use dwelling on it. I need to focus on the here and now and hope for the best. So, with that, here are my estimated dates:

3/13-4/2: Take BCPs
3/31: Start Lurpon
4/8: b/w & u/s and start stims
4/19: Egg retrieval
4/22: 3 day transfer or 4/24 5d day transfer

So I will know by my birthday (5/13) -whether this cycle worked. It will either be a wonderful birthday present or the worst birthday ever! Ladies, I am looking for a cycle buddy so if you know anyone please let me know!

13 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

Don't you fear- let the dr's do that! (easier said then done huh)

sending hugs!

Shauna said...

i wish you the best of luck on this cycle and hope that it's the one that works for you! shauna

Shauna said...

i wish you the best of luck on this cycle and hope that it's the one that works for you! shauna

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

The start of an ivf cycle is FULL of mixed and overwhelming feelings. Just take one moment at a time if you can manage it.

My b'day is 4/21 so maybe that offers a wee bit of luck if you end up transferring a day early. My fingers and toes are crossed for you!!

XOXOX

Erin said...

Your feelings are completely normal. I will know by my birthday if my cycle worked too! It's gotta be a sign...

Anonymous said...

I've got PCOS and was put on Follistim, too. Wasn't wanded every day, though.

As for birthdays, well! For us, retrieval was 3 days after my 39th birthday - it was, in fact, on our 8th wedding anniversary! - with transfer on the Summer Solstice. The results of which are currently sleeping next to me as I type this.

Soooo...I think the birthday is a lucky thing!!

Rebecca said...

I can't be your cycle buddy, but I do know that the docs at your/our office know what they're doing...they are really good about keeping an eye on your meds and changing them as you need them to be changed. Please let me know if you need anything or have any questions...good luck! You should be really proud of yourself...this is a HUGE step!

The Beauty Junkie said...

Don't sweat the "what if's". Just take it easy. This is so exciting.

Princesses in Muddy Puddles said...

Great protocol you have there! Keep an eye on cyclesista for cycling buddies :) xo

Maria said...

Congrats, this is very exciting. I know IVF can be daunting, but just try to look at one step at a time. Any drugs that you don't need, put aside.

Have you checked out Cycle Sista's?

DebbieDo said...

Congrats on the next step! I was on Follistim for IVF and look what happen to me. It's goign to happen for you too, I just know it.

((HUGS))

Carrie said...

Wecome to the IVF club. I hope your stay is a flying one.
All the best x

sara said...

I used all the exact same meds you will be using...the BCP, then the Lupron near the end..then my stims were Follistim and Menopur...sounds identical to mine!