Thursday, July 31, 2008

Genetic Center Results (16w1d)

First of all, I apologize for not writing this blog post sooner. I didn’t get to work until 1:00 so I didn’t take a lunch. Anyway, when we arrived at the genetic center we first spoke with the genetic counselor, who seriously did not look old enough to be doing that job. She explained the results from our quad screen and went over exactly what DS is and what causes it. She explained that the quad screen is just a screen and not a diagnostic test. She went over our family history and explained that the only way to know for sure is to get an amnio which we declined. Then we went into the ultrasound room. They had a huge screen on the wall which showed everything so we didn’t have to stare at a little screen. She checked the baby from head to toe. Everything measured right on target and there were no markers for downs (cyst on brain, spot on heart, enlarged kidneys, enlarged bladder, etc.) Baby was wiggling all around (which I still can’t feel!) and drinking amniotic fluid (aka baby pee.) Baby was stubborn and sitting almost Indian style at first so I had to get up and go pee and shake things up a bit and then she was able to get the measurements she needed. We do need to go back in three weeks so she can look at the heart because baby is still a little too small for that. All in all I am extremely relieved and feel like I got the reassurance I needed. Obviously there is always some remote possibility that something could still be wrong but I am not interested in the amnio.

So, I suppose you are wondering whether we were able to get a look at the goods huh? We got a quick peek at first and then baby crossed its legs. After I got up to go pee the legs opened back up and we were able to get a pretty good look at the goods. And…I was right, we have ourselves a baby boy! We saw his little baby “pee pee” and are pretty confident it is a boy. The tech said it was definitely a boy so hopefully she is right. We still have our big u/s for the 11th so we will double check then. So, without further ado, let me introduce our little miracle Noah Michael Vollmerhausen.

Profile shot.

Front view (alien picture)


The “money” shot (this one is not of the "pee pee" itself, just his little "jewels".



We picked the name Noah because we just like the name. The name Michael is special to us both because Shawn and his dad’s middle name is Michael and my father’s name was Michael.

We did tell our parents the sex and we will tell our grandparents tonight then we will tell everyone else in the family/friends.

Thank you a million times over for all of your love and support. The past couple of days have truly been some of the roughest days in my life. I am a believer and I know that God would never give us more than we can handle and I will love this baby no matter what. Hugs and kisses to you all and let me know what you think of the name!

25 comments:

Erin said...

YES!!! I knew it was a boy. I love the name and I'm glad everything is OK. I don't blame you for not doing the amnio, I wouldn't either. I can't wait to see you and Shawn and give you a big hug.

sara said...

So glad to hear everything looked okay! And congrats on the baby boy - how awesome! I love the name noah- it's one of my favorites for a boy. I agree about the amnio - we would of done the same thing :-)

Agata said...

Aww, I *knew* everything was ok! And congratulations on your baby boy! I absolutely love the name Noah Michael. Ironically, our name for a boy was Michael Noah... Congrats again!

Stace said...

So happy that you got your reassurance!! :) I'm just so happy for you in general!! And I guessed that it was a boy as well. :) Beautiful name! :)

Emily said...

Oh, Congratulations on your baby boy!!! I am so happy for you. I'm glad he is healthy. My dad (who passed away)was named Michael also, so I understand why that name is so special to you. xo Em

Making Babies said...

Wonderful to hear everything is going well with Noah. What a stunning name! :)

Amy B said...

I am so happy for you. I am sure everything will be fine. Noah is a beautiful name. i was wrong. i thought for sure you were having a girl.
Hugs,
Amy

Rebecca said...

LOVE the name...LOVE the pictures! I'm glad that you feel better after meeting with the youngin ;) Hopefully you can find some peace in your pregnancy for a while and enjoy some of it!

Bec said...

What gorgeous pictures - I can only imagine how happy you both are. A little boy!!!!! And a gorgeous name to boot - am ecstatic for you!

Summer said...

Wonderful news!

Maria said...

I'm so glad that everything went so well!! I'm sure it's a huge relief.

Early Congratulations on your baby boy. I love the name Noah Michael!

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope your next US goes as well. That is so funny, I went on Wed. and our baby was sitting indian style too and I had to get up and drink water and move around for her to cooperate. I have to go back to look at the heart and brain again. I was scared, but they said because it was still early and her position they needed better pictures. Oh yes, and I said girl. We found out that day. Good luck to and your son. I love keeping up with your blog. Kriston edc 1/14/09

nickoletta100 said...

YAY a boy!!! Congrats!!!! I love the name Noah and it's wonderful to use a family name!

Christina said...

congrats on the healthy boy!!! I love the name Noah too.

Nicole said...

Glad the ultrasound went well. Beautiful name!

My_Herstory said...

So happy to hear everything went well with the U/S! Congrats on the baby boy news! I knew it was a boy! He looks good too!:) I like his name as well!

shawna said...

Congratulations! I am so glad that everything was okay, and I love the name. Noah just sounds like someone that you want to meet.
So after everything has been completed, would you recommend getting the screening, or was it just the cause of undue worry? We are still debating the issue.

CJ said...

Congrats on your baby boy!! How exciting!! Everything seems to be turning our just fine!

Candi said...

I had the BOY vibe for you!! Yay for baby Noah!! I bet you guys are absolutely thrilled!

Rachie Pachie said...

I thought it was a boy, too! That's so awesome. How cute will that little jersey be on your little man!?

Glad to hear that the screening went well. Sounds like a good visit! Thinking about ya!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

That's Great! Thanks for sharing the good news and LOVE the NAME! How wonderful! I'm so Happy for all three of you!

Stacemoe said...

Congradulations!!!! I am glad everything looks wonderful. I love the name Noah and he is such a cutie!!! Continuing to pray for you and this sweet baby.

sara said...

Happy 17 weeks mama!

The Beauty Junkie said...

Awwww!!! How sweet.

My_Herstory said...

Happy 17 weeks!