Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Price of Fame

Seriously, I'm just kidding about the fame part. But seriously, I have been checking out the comments to the article in the Sun and I am shocked to see the stupidity of some of the commentors. It is not a surprise to me in the least, I knew that taking a chance and putting our story out there would get some not-so-nice comments. I am still so amazed at some of the things that people say, or should I say "type." I am obviously not going to continue to defend my feelings to these ignorant people, especially on the Sun website, but I will address some of their comments, just for the sheer fun of it. Lets start with:

"Screw them. There are too many people in the world as it is. " I'm not even sure this deserves a response.

"If they're leaving it in God's hands to carry the pregnancy full-term, then why did they choose to have science intervene to get pregnant in the first place?" Not sure how these relate to each other. I was always leaving everything to do with our IF and treatments in God's hands. However, leaving it in God's hands does not mean that we can't pursue treatment created by doctors who are created by God. With this type of logic should we choose to forgo all medical treatment (cancer treatment, surgery, etc.) to leave it in God's hands? If I get an infection should I leave it in God's hands to clear it up instead of taking the medication?

"Perhaps infertile couples should get a clue and take their infertility as a sign that they weren't meant to have biological babies." This is ridiculous. I do not believe that infertility should be taken as a sign that someone is not meant to be a biological parent.

"Then they could pour the same amount of time, money and effort into adopting a needy kid or animal." WHAT? Are you suggesting I go and adopt a puppy? You can't be serious. I'm an animal lover but it is not the same thing. As for adopting a child, I have nothing against adoption. In fact, we almost went with adoption instead of IVF. I wish people read up on adoption before they go suggesting it as an alternative to infertility treatment. Adoption is an expensive and long process as many of you know, it is not a decision to be made lightly. Plus, why do these people care what I do with my time, money or effort? If they think there are so many needy kids out there maybe they should "just adopt" as well.

"These people are incredibly selfish." Hmmm...are we selfish because we spent all of our savings, went through years of testing and procedures, shots, heartaches, all to bring a child into the world? To me that seems like one of the most selfless things that someone can do. Come and talk to me again when you have had the pleasure of submitting yourself to countless embarrassing physical exams, giving yourself injections in the a$$ every single night, etc., all for the love of a child that you have never met. Then you have a right to judge.

"Well, if a baby is going to solve all these people's woes then I feel bad for the kid and all the pressure that's already being put on it." Not sure where the article said this. Obviously becoming pregnant won't solve all of our woes. But part of this statement is true. We have an amazing marriage, a wonderful family, two beautiful kitties, a nice house, jobs...etc. The only thing missing in our lives is a baby. There is no pressure, baby is already loved more that he/she could ever imagine.

"Sometimes nature, God, whatever higher power you believe in is trying to tell us something, and I think that something is that not all humans are meant to breed." Yes, lets hope this person does not breed.

"The fact that we are now obsessing over getting preggers and blogging about every neurotic thought or medical procedure speaks volumes about how empty some folks lives really are." Can I tell you how much I hate the word preggers? Sounds like something a 13 year old would say.

"We are not on this planet just to procreate, and parenthood is not going to solve all these people's problems in life. It's kinda scary and sad." Once again, not sure where he/she/it got the idea that parenthood would solve all of our problems.

Now I feel better. Once again, I knew that this would draw some negative comments and that's okay. We all have a right to our opinion, no matter how pigheaded it may be. I just hope that somewhere out this article touched someone today, and helped them know that they aren't alone. If it did it was worth it to me.

14 comments:

Agata said...

People like that are idiots. They find happiness in other people's sorrows and they cannot stand when good things happen to good people. I am glad you're not letting them get to you. You deserve this baby more than anyone I know.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze and dishearten me. Thank you so much for bringing up the point about tools given the doctors (& nurses too) weren't brought by the Tooth Fairy and that we should deny all medical treatment, OH PUHLEEEEZ! These people are totally clueless, because guess what? One in 6 couples is affected by IF, so these morons have their head in the sand or the other dark place we sit on. You know, Mo, IF is unique, but it shares with all other clinical conditions, the same Blame the Victim Mentality. ((Hugs)) to you and S. I honor and celebrate your choices and journey, it humbles and inspires me. Stupid People, grrrr, take a walk in somebody else's shoes, would you? Sorry for the long comment.

Erin said...

The article is great, and I could see the picture when I clicked the link. I agree with all your responses to these inane comments. These people are seriously misguided in their thoughts. Anyway, sorry I missed you on Sunday. Brian surprised me with brunch reservations. We are leaving Saturday for vacation, so I won't see you for a couple weeks.

My_Herstory said...

OOOOOOOOkay! Those comments got me steamin'! People are so ignorant!!! GRRRRRR!
I'll come back and read the entire article after my prenatal class tonight. Thanx for sharing.

Adriane said...

Now those are some crazy-ass comments! I'm still shocked that people have reactions like this to infertility treatments. I hope you are able to put these remarks aside and see them for the utter ridiculousness that they are. Hang in there!

Meghan said...

People are just stupid...plain and simple. I just wish people would say that they know nothing about a topic instead of spewing nonsense.

Anonymous said...

Please discard these awful , comments and don't even waste energy thinking about them. i understand that blogging does open yourself up to people who don't see eye to eye, but there is no excuse for hateful behavior.

Anonymous said...

Okay, these people are just stupid. They probably all have children and never had to go through any trouble to get them. I'm like you. I did IVF and of course it was all in God's hands as to if it would work. I think God puts people on the earth with the intelligence to know how to perform procedures like IVF. I'm not putting any pressure on my child, I just wanted to be a mom. Let's just say they are all idiots!!

sarah23 said...

Oh my god... I don't even think I want to look at those comments. I think it would get me really agitated and just p*&% me off. Wow. I do plan on reading the story, though.

sara said...

Hmmm, I'm just really hormonal today and I could probably type a book about how stupid all these people are. But instead I just going to say that I couldn't agree with you more, they are obviously idiots, I loved the article, and I am so happy each week when I see your ticker move forward to the next week - like happy 14 weeks Morissa! You're doing great and we should celebrate each week with you both!!! ((hugs))

cjsayers77 said...

I think my favorite was "we are not on this planet to procreate...", but really, weren't we? And gee, should we not take tylenol for our headaches and claritin for our allergies then? Wouldn't want science to intervene! I knew we'd get some looneys but I have to say page 2 of comments are from a wonderful bunch of people sticking up for us infertiles! They made me smile and say "YAH! Take that!". I'm glad we did the interviews!

Candi said...

Wow...I swear! I have heard the "It's playing God" and the "If you can't have a baby, its just not your time", but these people have opened up a whole new realm of assholes! As long as we feel good and we stick together, thats all that matters! F em!

The Beauty Junkie said...

WOW. I am so pist off over those comments. How dare anyone judge me for wanting to conceive and love a child of my own, Who are we hurting by turning to science? Those comments were so hurtful and ignorant. I feel sorry for people like that.

Rachie Pachie said...

I left my comments on that site. How arrogant.

Glad I don't have to encounter this kind of insult IRL. Ugh. I'd go crazy on someone.