Wednesday, July 2, 2008

12 Weeks!

I can't believe today is 12 weeks! I have no idea why I feel like 12 weeks is a milestone of some kind but I do. Does anyone know why 12 weeks is so special? I just remember people being excited to hit 12 weeks, so I'm excited! As for how I am feeling, still exhausted, still sick in the mornings, although I didn't puke for the first time in a while this morning. Now I have an awful head cold which is making me feel terrible! I have been drinking hot tea (caffeine free) like crazy and it if definitely soothing on a sore throat. But all in all I'm not complaining because I feel pretty good. I just wish I could get energy to do something around the house. My house is messy, and although Dh promises to clean I haven't really seen him do any serious cleaning. He does pick up one room every once in a while but the house on a whole is still a mess. I barely have energy to eat dinner before crashing on the couch when I get home from work. I'm hoping that soon my energy will come back.

As for the GD, to answer a couple of questions I have gotten: My numbers were not high, but on the high end of normal. My doctor wanted to be proactive and get it under control now instead of waiting. I wasn't a fan of this approach at first but after taking my blood sugar three times a day I am seeing that sometimes it spikes up. However, the strange thing is that it doesn't seem to correlate with what I am eating. My fasting blood sugar (when I first wake up in the morning) is supposed to be below 95 and is always around 120. I have no idea how or why it could be high in the morning. I eat the same exact thing for breakfast every morning. Sometimes 2 hours after breakfast my blood sugar is in the 80's, sometimes in the 90's and sometimes it is over 120. As far as what I am eating, I'm basically eating what I ate before but I have cut sugar out of my diet and have been trying to eat less starches. I have an OB appointment tomorrow to show my doctor my blood sugars and my food diary so I think I am going to ask him about possibly going back on Metformin. Although I hate the stuff, I'm thinking maybe it might help.

I've been thinking a lot about the sex of the baby. I really want to know! I feel like I could better connect with the little one if I knew if it was a boy or a girl. I have a hunch (of course not based on anything concrete) but I'm not going to tell you yet. Perhaps I will put up a poll to see what you think.

Last night while listening to baby on the doppler I am almost certain we heard him/her kick! We have been hearing some movement noises, or sometimes Doozer would disappear and we would have to find him again, but last night we heard a distinct noise that could only be kicking. It was the most amazing sound! It is so strange that there is this little creature in there moving around and I can't even feel it.

Lastly, Doozer has been getting lots of little gifts from family members. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about having people give us gifts for the baby so soon but I guess I am okay with it now. Here is Doozer's latest gift:


We got jerseys for Dh and I and a little teeny one for Doozer, too cute!

18 comments:

Bec said...

Happy 12 weeks! I can't believe how quickly that has come around! How cute are the little jerseys :)I think gifts from family are really cute, it's nice to recognise that yes you are pregnant and are going to have a little one around in no time at all xxx

Adriane said...

12 weeks is great. I don't know why it's such a big deal, but it is. You're almost to the end of the first trimester!

Love the cute itty bitty jersey!!!!

shawna said...

Congratulations on making it to 12 weeks. I am not sure why it is so significant, but I a desperate to make it there too. I love the little jersey!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

12 weeks was a milestone for me because of the transition from first to second trimester gave me some relief from worrying. I hope you feel better soon and I wish I could send the cleaning fairy to your house. The elevated blood glucose in the morning is sometimes called the "Dawn Effect". Prior to awakening, our bodies increase our blood sugar in anticipation of increased energy needs to start the day. Also, activity/exercise lowers blood glucose, so at nite, we are not "burning" as many calories, but our bodies are digesting/metabolizing dinner and has all this sugar with really no place to go w/GD. It sounds like you are off to a great start with your diet and tracking your bld glucose for OB. Now that you are entering your 2nd trimester, hopefully you'll have more energy and can start walking or swimming or whatever you enjoy. That's really cool about the kicks on doppler. Whether Doozer is a Boy or Girl, S/He's Beautiful! The Colts Jersey is really cute. Sorry for the long post and I'm here if you need me, just email me. Happy 4th of July to you and your family.

sara said...

Happy 12 weeks doozer! I think I looked at this week as such a milestone because in my mind I was in the second trimester. Some people get all picky and say, well you're not in the 2nd tri until the 12th week is completed and you're starting your 13th week. I say boo on them. I say my second tri started at 12 weeks and that's a cause for celebration. So celebrate away, and that jersey is adorable!!! My husband love the Dallas Cowboys and claims that if Spot is a boy we'll get a little jersey asap and if it's a girl we'll get a little cheerleader outfit. I may have to knixx the cheerleader outfit, but jerseys are cute for boys or girls! Congrats on another week mama..

Agata said...

Happy 12 weeks, how exciting!!! The little jersey is so cute (although I still think the WV colors are a Michigan rip-off! Hah hah)

Hey, I sent you an email yesterday about next week. See if you can get back to me - no pressure though! :)

My_Herstory said...

Happy 12 weeks. 12 Weeks is important because you're amost into your second trimester!!! Yaaay!!
I was worried about getting little gifts as well, but that jersey is so cute!

CJ said...

Congrats Girlie!!! :)

Shauna said...

I believe 12 weeks would be a "big deal" because that is the first trimester. I have been told that it's the first and last trimester that are the riskiest (like to have procedures, ex: fillings, etc...) done. The second trimester is considered the "safe trimester." Where you can take many different antibiotics safely (which you can't do in the first trimester) as well as you have to watch for preterm labor if you have procedures done in the last trimester. (this is just what i've been told - not that i know from personal experience as I am yet still hopelessly barren and devoid of such wonderful worries) :) anyway, very happy for you, i hope that was the right answer for the 12 week thing.

AwkwardMoments said...

Happy 12 weeks!

My sugars were always higher than normal on my fasting read. I also found that my sugars were in no way related to the foods i ate. I think that is just the pcos side of the insulin resistance.

Good luck to you (and doozer too of course)

I love the lil matching jersey! Super cute!

I'd love to hear your hunch on the sex of doozer. I found that knowing the sex did exactly what you stated. That was when It "all became real" for me.

Keep up the good work

Candi said...

How adorable!! We have gotten a few outfits for Noah from people...mostly from people who wanted us to have a boy. We just like hanging them in his closet! Anyway...I definatly feel closer to Noah, knowing his sex. But everyone is different :)

The Beauty Junkie said...

How freakin cute! I see a girl coming your way for some reason. Congrats

Cindy said...

12 weeks is fantastic!

Cindy said...

12 weeks is fantastic!

Baby Blog Directory said...

Congratulations on 12 weeks!

I've always heard that the risk of miscarriage drops to nearly nothing once you get past week 11, so I guess that's why week 12 is so very important.

Emily said...

Congratulations on 12 weeks!!!!!

sara said...

Psssttttt......(I'm whispering...but you're almost 13 weeks now....just one more day - go Doozer and Morissa...go!)

Rachie Pachie said...

OKay, that little jersey is SOOOO stinking cute! How awesome will it be when the whole family is outfitted in it!?

We will be able to get donated gonal-F (that's follistim, right?) for the cycle, but all the other meds we'll have to pay for. I'm still on the fence about doing it later. Guess it's just hesitation & fear.

Hope we're just as successful as you two!! :)