Wednesday, July 16, 2008

14 Weeks & Assvice

Okay folks, back to business as usual. Today is 14 weeks! Yay Doozer! Doozer is still doing well as far as I can tell. We still listen to the h/b every single night and it still brings me great joy to hear it. How am I feeling at 14 weeks? I'm not sick in the mornings any more. I still feel incredibly hungry in the mornings and I will occasionally gag if I don't eat but no puking. I am not as tired and have some more energy. Not a lot more energy but some. I am having what the doctor told me is round ligament pain. I am very sore feeling when I walk on the inside of my legs right between my legs. I also feel like I have to pee more now than I did before. I thought the uterus was supposed to rise but it seems to still be squishing my little bladder. I am having a horrible time trying to sleep. I am coughing because of allergies, it gives me a dry throat feeling. On top of that I have to get up every hour to pee (I'm not kidding) and I read in my books that I am now not supposed to sleep on my back but on my side because it could cut off the blood circulation to the baby. Well I am a back-sleeper so this has been very difficult for me. I go to sleep on my side but wake up on my back. So I am constantly waking up to reposition myself on my side. I also found something new last night. This part might be a little too TMI but oh well. For the past couple of days I have felt like there is something between my legs that doesn't belong. I took a mirror and looked last night and my lips down there look bigger. They look like they hand lower and are slightly larger. I am assuming this is a pregnancy thing but I'm going to ask my doctor just to be sure. Sorry for the TMI. :) Also, on Saturday we went to an outdoor party and I was outside in the heat from 2:00 until about 8:00. Towards the end of the day I noticed my hands and fingers were swollen. My fingers were so swollen that my "fake bling ring" (because I can't fit my real rings on) was tight. My ankles weren't swollen though. Then I figured it was about time to get out of the heat. I am assuming all of these things are normal pregnancy things but I will ask my OB at my blood sugar appointment today. Hopefully this will be my last weekly appointment since I my sugars are doing so well. Also, no more spotting which is great!

Now on to the assvice portion of my post. Here is a little background first: I am well aware of what I am not supposed to eat and drink during pregnancy. I have spoken to my doctor and I feel confident eating turkey sandwiches from my favorite deli because I am familiar with them and have been eating there for a while. I also allow myself one caffeinated drink per day. the reason I do this is because I cannot have anything with sugar like sprite or anything that doesn't have caffeine. I LOVE diet soda and since I can't have any sweets which I also love I treat myself and allow myself to have one diet soda a day. So, at this party I was enjoying my diet Pepsi for the day. A lady comes up to me later on (someone I don't even know) and starts out by saying "I was deciding on whether I should say something to you or not..." We all know as soon as someone utters those words that means that they are going to spew useless information and assvice that is none of their business. So while I has the urge to advise her that she shouldn't say anything if she had to think about whether it was appropriate to say it I kept my mouth shut. She proceeded to tell me how I shouldn't be drinking caffeine while I am pregnant and when she saw me drinking the diet soda she was "concerned." I explained to her (I really didn't need to explain but I did anyway) that I had discussed it with my doctor and that I was allowing myself to have one caffeinated drink a day. I mean seriously, maybe if I was drinking a beer or something she may have had a right to say something, but I just really thought it was odd. So I guess that makes me a horrible Mommy for drinking on caffeinated drink a day, for shame!

12 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

You are a real class act, Mo, Totally! I would have decked the Assvice lady! You sound like you are taking such good care of yourself. Your symptoms (including swollen labia) sound normal. The OB might check your urine just to rule out any infection. Also, I'm curious to see what they say about sleep position at your stage of pregnancy, it's so important to get some rest. Thanks for the update and being so cool.

sarah23 said...

Oh, I'm worse than you. I drink 1 Diet Coke and 1 caffeine-free diet soda every day. It's a big improvement for me; a few years ago I drank about 4-5 Diet Cokes per day.

I had really swollen labia right after the paracentesis for OHSS. It was horrible... I literally could not walk/stand for very long b/c they were so heavy and uncomfortable. Once, in a primary care clinic, I saw a pregnant woman who had basically "hemorrhoids" (dilated blood vessels) all over her labia. It looked really really uncomfortable. I'm curious what your doctor will say about it. Good luck with your appointment.

Meghan said...

Isn't the assvice ridiculous?? Just last weekend I was out for Mexican with some friends and I had a sip of a friends watermelon margarita (it was a kind of big sip because I love and miss them more than I should but still just a sip). Someone from another table came over to tell me that I shouldn't be drinking if I was pregnant. I wanted to smack her (should have and said it was the rita talking) but instead I said thank you and went back to eating. And then when some got a peach rita....I had another sip and stared right at her!!

Baby and Me said...

uh, that is so silly. I know people mean well, but its like really. I see women that are at least 7 months smoking on the streets in downtown. Granted I wonder if they are crackheads to begin with but I dont say anything. Not because I dont want to but who knows what they have going on, maybe they get one smoke a day. I dont think anything is wrong with the one soda a day.

Anonymous said...

You are doing a great job and don't feel the need to explain yourself to anyone!!! (I know you don't!)....but it gets worse, especially after the baby gets here and strangers start telling you how to raise him/her. It is ridiculous!!!! So hang in....I prayed for you this morning from Dallas...just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and thanks for the update....can't wait to hear the update from the doctor...

AwkwardMoments said...

YAH for doozer!

Stupid Comments and assvice keep right on rolling post pregnancy also ...UGH

So sorry

DebbieDo said...

I'm so glad things are going well. I can't believe that women, she's such an idiot. She shuold mind her own business. It blows my mind when people feel the need to say things like that to other people.

hang in there girl. I'm so happy things are going well.

Erin said...

People are so rude. I have plenty of opinions about plenty of things, but I would NEVER think about sharing them with someone I didn't even know. If going through IF treatments has taught me anything, it's that things aren't always as they seem. You know if I were there that woman would have gotten a nice piece of my mind. I'm glad things are going well and that Doozer is growing away. I am counting the days with you to see if Doozer will be a football player or an BFL cheerleader.

Erin said...

That was supposed to be NFL cheerleader.

Anonymous said...

I would have told her that you were using the Diet Pepsi to chase the tequila body shots you had just sucked off of your husband's chest.

And turned and walked away!

Your response was much classier. Good for you!

The Beauty Junkie said...

Girl please, I'm with Martha. You are a class act because I would have read her for being so nosey. I'm sick of the same unsolicited advice. I'm with you. I know what I can cheat on with sodas and I know I also know which deli I can eat a great sub from. Keep on doing what you're doing with your doc's okay.

sara said...

Oh that woman sounds dreadful. I would never dream of saying anything to anyone about something as silly as that. She is lucky you are a kindhearted person and didn't snap back. If it makes you feel any better, I have a caffeinated beverage a day also - every day. My OB says that even two cups of coffee a day are fine. As far as the labia go - ahh yes. I think I might have even posted about that a few weeks back. I hear you on that one, mine still look large and in charge to me, LOL! Jenny McCarthy calls them Blue twinkies in her book. It's a funny one - check it out if you get a chance :-) I already saw your OB update, but I'm glad things are going well and you got some answers to help.