Wednesday, July 9, 2008

13 Weeks!

I know, I know, I have been a bad blogger, a whole week without an update! But I have had a busy week and I have so much to tell you! First, the most exciting news, I am 13 weeks today and according to some of my books I am in the second trimester! Some of my books say 14 weeks starts the second trimester but I'm going with 13 because it is closer! I am so thrilled and excited to be in the second trimester. I never thought in a million years I would be able to say that! We celebrated by listening to baby on the doppler this morning. We always listen at night after dinner so it was a nice treat to listen in the morning. Baby was very active this morning moving and making all kinds of thumping sounds on the doppler. I cried for the first time in a long time while listening to the doppler. I can't believe we have made it here. I know there is still a long ways to go but I feel like this is a milestone worth celebrating. I also cried because I am the happiest I have been in a very long time and it breaks my heart that all of you are not experiencing the same happiness. I think about it a lot and I pray every single day that each and every one of you will be here someday soon.




I went back to my OB on Thursday. He wants to see me once a week until we get my blood sugar under control. He looked at my blood sugar log that I have been keeping and said that my blood sugar looks great except for in the morning when I wake up. It is higher than it is all day when I first wake up in the morning. It is supposed to be below 95 and mine ranges from 115 to 126. So, he said that since a fasting blood sugar cannot be affected by diet (because we don't eat in the middle of the night) he put me on insulin. I am to do one shot, 20 units, sub-q, in the evening after dinner. He seemed worried that I wouldn't be able to give myself a shot and I had to remind him that I was a fertility patient. So, I thought I was rid of shots, but alas I am still the human pincushion and probably will be throughout the rest of my pregnancy. The good thing is that my sugar doesn't seem to be affected by what I eat during the day and I can eat what I want as long as I avoid high sugar and massive carbs.

But now I have to tell you the funny thing that happened at my OB appointment. When they called me back they took me into a little room to weigh me and take my blood pressure. I thought this was strange since I was told I was there just for a consultation for my blood sugar. I have gained 1.5 lbs since my first OB appointment! Then the nurse sat me down and asked me when my last period was. I thought this was odd because clearly they already have this info but I told her April 9th (which is my made up day so no one gets confused about the IVF.) She looked at me funny and said "Are you taking any medications to keep you from having a period?" Huh? I was confused, I said "I'm pregnant." She looked at me like I was from mars. Then she looked at her chart and asked me my name. I told her and she laughed and told me that she thought I was another patient there for a pap! So then they took me back into the waiting room and called me again. This time I was put into the office to wait for the doctor. He came in, asked me how I was feeling and whipped out the doppler. I was still confused but whatever, so we listened to the baby's h/b which was 150. He felt my belly and said he could just feel my uterus coming above my pelvic bone (which I still cannot feel, am I missing something?) Then he told me all looked good and to make an appointment for 4 weeks. Again, I was confused. I asked wasn't I there to discuss blood sugar. He looked at my chart and said, yes you are, but they put you in under a routine OB appointment so I didn't know. Ahhhh! So, then we finally discussed my blood sugar which was the whole reason I was there to begin with. So, a visit that they told me would take 1/2 hour ended up taking an hour and a half. I have to go back on Friday to see how everything is going. I am now confused as to when my next actual OB appointment is because it was scheduled for next Wednesday, but since they already did one I'm not sure if I am still supposed to go or not. I will ask on Friday.

We went to our farmhouse in Western Maryland this weekend for the 4th. It was a pretty boring weekend over all as it rained the whole entire time! We went to an Amish furniture store and we found the crib and changing table that we want. This is the crib. We want to get it in a lighter wood to match the trim in our house. The crib converts from a crib to a toddler bed to a twin bed. We thought this would be great because then Doozer can use it all throughout his/her time at home. I don't have a picture of the changing table but it starts out as a changing table and can the be flipped over to a dresser. So neat! The quality of the wood is amazing! Much nicer than our bedroom set. It will cost us a tiny bit more than if we were to not get it custom made by Amish but we think it is worth it. We didn't order it now because I thought it was too early but when we go back in September we will order it.

Since our weekend at the farm was boring there isn't much to tell but I do have to tell you something funny that Dh's cousin asked me. I walked into the kitchen to be confronted by Dh's 6 year old cousin. The conversation went like this:

"Mo, I have a question."
"Sure, what is your question."
"Did you and Shawn get married again?"
"No, why?"
"Well then how did you get the baby in your belly if you didn't get married again?"
"Err..." I was temped to say the doctor put it there but I thought that might confuse her so I said, " God put it there."
"Oh, okay." Walks away...

He he. I thought it was a funny question and thought it was even funnier when I found out she asked Shawn first and he said, "Go ask your Mom."

Lastly, I have some very exciting news! I am going to be in the newspaper! I have been talking with a reporter for the Baltimore Sun who is doing a story on infertility bloggers. We had a photographer come to our house last night to take our pictures. Hopefully the article will be coming out shortly and I will definitely post a link when it comes out. I am thrilled that my story is going to make headlines and I hope that it helps to raise awareness about PCOS and infertility which is the whole reason I started this blog to begin with. I hope that one day people wont see infertility as a dirty little secret that should be ignored, but as a genuine medical condition that affects millions of people. So, look for the article to come out shortly!

Well, I think this update is long enough. I promise to update more often and I apologize for not commenting more often but I have had a busy week!

16 comments:

sara said...

Congrats on the publishing news, how exciting!! And 13 weeks also - you have made a big milestone, I'm so proud of you! The amish furniture looks beautiful, and they have such a nice quality it will be so nice to have. My husband's parents are in an area of Ohio not far from an Amish community and sometimes we wander through some furniture stores near there that carry it. It is always beautiful. I'm sure that you will have a beautiful nursery for little Doozer..hugs...and congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Again Mo, I just wanted to congratulate you!!! It's been a while since we have chatted thru email and I am very happy that you are getting to experience this all now!!

Jaime

Baby and Me said...

ahhh...good update! I was too so confused on my first two doctor visits. I think they get in a routine and dont realize us first timers are deers in the headlights.

shawna said...

Yay for 13 weeks! I think that 13w3d is acually the start of the 2nd trimester, so close enough.
I hope that the blood sugar gets under control. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be.
I love the crib. It's beautiful.

Rachel said...

Yay for 13 weeks!!!!! The furniture you picked out is beautiful and I think it's great that it converts so you will be able to continue to use it.

Thanks for all the updates on GD. I've been told that I'm at very high risk (since I'm already insulin resistant) so it's great to hear how you're managing it. I do have to admit to being a bit confused about GD because I was told that it wasn't worth testing me prior to 18/20 weeks because that it was then the fetus starts producing its own hormones and can thus cause gestational diabetes as opposed to regular diabetes - did your doctor mention that? Or does he test all his patients this early? Did they tell you that your response to sugar/carbs would change as the pregnancy progresses, or is the expectation that you will be able to manage the GD with diet during the day? Thanks for the info - I hope you don't mind my asking.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Congrats and welcome to the second trimester, Mo! Really happy that you're so happy, and you are so sincere and sweet in your wishes for others to experience the joy. Thank you for that and also taking such good care of yourself and GD. The furniture is just lovely and that's great it converts to toddler and twin bed, how cool? I am so proud of your interview for The Baltimore Sun, Thank you so much for raising awareness about IF and PCOS. You Rock!

Morrisa said...

Rachel,

Hopefully you will be checking back for my response to your question. I don't mind answering questions at all! I was confused about the GD too! I didn't know my doctor was going to test my levels and he didn't do the standard GD test (drinking the sugary drink and all of that.) My doctor is very knowledgable about PCOS and is doing everything he can to make sure that this baby is healthy. When they originally ran the blood tests I had downed a root beer right before the appointment because we were having an u/s and I wanted to get the baby to move. I believe that is what caused my higher levels. But because of the higher level we began monitoring my blood sugar and discovered that my fasting b/s was high. I think there is a possibility that it may have been this way all along and not because of the pregnancy. So, while he/I are calling it GD the official diagnosis is not GD because we don't know for sure at this point that the pregnancy is causing it. My OB wants to get it under control now before it gets out of hand. I hope that answered your question. :)

Morrisa

lovesbabyhopes said...

Congrats on your milestone!! My hubbie and I did a newspaper story and the story was amazing--best of luck!

Amy

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080511/NEWS01/805110303

Meghan said...

Yeah for 13 weeks!!! And sorry you're back sticking yourself every night. Whatever Doozer needs...right??

Erin said...

I am SO happy you're in the 2nd trimester. What a great milestone to hit. I can't wait to see you (and Doozer) on Sunday!

My_Herstory said...

Looks like a beautiful crib! Hand made by the Amish will be nice, definatley worth the extra.
Glad everything is going so well for you, that question DH's cousin asked, so cute hehe.
Our holiday weekend on July 1st was rainy rainy as well. We tried going to the beach but it rained, when we finally left the beach it stopped and the sun came out, GO FIGURE! hehe.
Sounds like your apointment was interesting hehe, wow. Least you eventually got to tlk about your blood sugar hehe.
Very cool about the newspaper, can u scan it and post it, or post the url to the papers website when it makes the headlines? That would be cool to read. Congrats!

AwkwardMoments said...

LOOTS of updates and good things - My blood sugars were always hte highest inthe morning also. I Swear it is pcos related!

I am sorry you arent rid of shot. I dunno if it makes you feel any better but I have a 1 month old and I am STILL doing shots! UGH

THt crib is beautiful! I need to email you - i have some questions for you - and i CANT wait to read hte artivle in the paper SO COOL!

Love the 6 r old conversation too funny

sarah23 said...

Great entry! I believe that fasting blood sugars of 100-125 are considered "borderline" diabetes; 126 and above (fasting) are diabetes. I'm sorry that you're still a human pincushion... we've all had enough shots with IVF! But, it is worth it to maintain you and your baby's health. :)

I'll join everyone else and say "beautiful crib"! I think we live thousands of miles from any Amish community, so I don't think it would be an option for us.

I've read the first trimester starts at either week 12 or 13, so I think you are there! Congrats!
I can't wait to see the Baltimore Sun article.

Anonymous said...

dating tashkent geologist http://loveepicentre.com/ samantha maloney dating

Anonymous said...

completely free catholic dating personals http://loveepicentre.com/ naked trucker dating

Anonymous said...

better homes and gardens computer software http://buyoemsoftware.co.uk/category-14/Other?page=2 blackberry software updates cingular att [url=http://buyoemsoftware.co.uk/product-18654/Eyeballs-3-2-Mac]what is sensaura software[/url] sunbelt software counterspy
[url=http://buyoemsoftware.co.uk/product-36581/Microsoft-Windows-7-Ultimate-x32-Greek]Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Greek - Software Store[/url] billing compliance electronic hipaa medical software
[url=http://buyoemsoftware.co.uk/it/information-5/User-Agreement][img]http://buyoem.co.uk/image/6.gif[/img][/url]