Tuesday, December 18, 2007

CD 7 b/w & u/s

We arrived at the clinic today at 7:10 for our 7:15 appointment with the fanny cam. I got my bloodwork done and then we were sent into exam room one to wait. Well, the sonographer called and said she was going to be late so finally at 7:45 my doctor comes in himself to do the u/s. He had a terrible time finding my left ovary (they always do as I was told during my HSG that my left ovary is very high) and it was extremely painful. I was ready to come up off the table a few times. Anyway, here is the breakdown:
  • Lining: I have no idea, he said it was "coming along nicely" (I will get the actual number when they call with my b/w results.
  • Right: 20 follicles less than 10
  • Left: 15 follicles less than 10

So, nothing going on quite yet. I couldn't get a good read on my doc to see whether this is normal or not. I did ask him if it was normal that nothing was happening quite yet and he said yes. He also said that he put me on a very low dose of the medication (I am assuming because of my PCOS) and that things may take a little longer to get started. My nurse will call sometime in the afternoon with my b/w results and the dosage for the Follistim. I think that my RE will keep the dosage the same but who knows. I go back for more b/w & u/s on Thursday which will be CD 9. I really wish I knew what to expect and what is normal development. The bad news is that I have a huge bruse on my right arm from my CD 3 b/w and now I have a huge painful bruise forming on my left arm from today's b/w so I have no idea where she is going to take blood from on Thursday. I don't know what to think because I have nothing to compare this cycle to because I have never done injectables. Part of me is worried that this will be like every other cycle I have had with the Clomid & Femara where my body does absolutely NOTHING! Part of me is happy that there wasn't huge cysts everywhere. The only thing that worries me is that all the follies we did see where mostly the same size. What if they all grow at the same rate? DH said that he saw three follies that were a bit larger on the right but I didn't really see a diference. The doctor really didn't measure any of them because he said they only start measuring once they get to a certain size. If anyone has any experience with this and can tell me if all of this is normal for a CD 7 scan I would appreciate it. I am assuming we will be able to tell more from my b/w to see if the E2 is rising like it should. Well, I guess that is about it, my left arm hurts so bad where they took the blood that it is painful to bend my arm. Oh joy! I will update later when I get my b/w results.

****Edited to Add****
The nurse called back with my bloodwork and treatment plan:

Lining: 6.2
E2: 137 (was 105 on CD3)

So I will continue to do the 75 iu of Follistim and go back on Thursday for another u/s and b/w. I did ask her whether it was normal that no dominant follies were developing yet but it wasn't my usual nurse so she didn't seem too sure.

4 comments:

Nadine said...

I wish i had some info for you on what is "normal" I'm the opposite of you and have very few follies. you should post your question on ivfconnections or ivf.ca on the forums and one of the ladies should be able to provide you insight!

AwkwardMoments said...

sounds like you are moving right along. I am sorry they are bruising you so badly. i bruised so much and i never seemed to have any blood in my veins. i would have to run my hand under hot water and they draw it out between my knuckles on my last IUI - so weird! So i am sorry that the blood draws are not being nicer to you. As for your follies, i bet you will see a few follies pull ahead in the next cd10 or cd11 scan. I would be willing to bet that you are dead right about the Dr and PCOS judgement. You do not want to over stim. (and with pcos patients, it's easy to do) Hang on tight .. the first few scans are un-eventful but the next few scans will really show the growth and timing of your trigger/IUI!

Sending up good thoughts!

Rebecca said...

I don't know if this will help, but in the Infertility World, we're used to unsolicited advice...the nurse told me to avoid bruising so badly that I shouldn't bend my elbow right after they were finished...that creates a pool of blood. She also said that putting my arm straight up works well, but I feel too much like an idiot, so I'll just keep my arm straight! Good luck! Sounds like things are moving along...I don't think that I had any dominant follicles until later on in the stimming. There is no such thing as normal in our world!

Adriane said...

Sounds like things are progressing well! Just from my past ultrasounds, I didn't have large size follicles until much later in my cycle...I think like CD12 or so.

Oh, and in response to your CD6 post, I had pain in my ovaries fairly early on with my first and second cycles doing follistim. It's a bugger, isn't it?!