Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Most Beautiful Sound (11w1d)

Well, we got a surprise when we got home from work yesterday and found our doppler waiting for us. It was a surprise because it wasn't supposed to arrive until Thursday. So we immediately headed back to the bedroom to try it out. I kept my bladder full because the papers inside suggested that it may be easier to hear the h/b with a full bladder. I laid back on the bed, pulled down my pants and Shawn got the doppler ready. It came with batteries so all we had to do was pop in the batteries. Then Shawn gelled up the doppler and we went to town. We started where the book suggested, right in the middle between my belly button and pubic bone. We spent the next 20 minutes hunting for the little one's h/b. We found mine plenty of times (it's amazing all the different places you can pick up you h/b way down there) which seemed to range from 80 to 90, so I knew it wasn't the baby's. I actually didn't freak out when we couldn't find it, I knew it would take a while the first time because baby is so small. Finally, after about 20 minutes of looking we heard something much faster. It was so clear, the most beautiful sound ever. The reading on the doppler showed 178 and I knew it had to be Doozer's. It was an awesome sound, so worth the money we are spending to rent this thing every month. We wanted to record the sound on our digital camera (the doppler does not have a recording device) but my amazing Dh had softball (again). So we will record it this evening (since we have decided to listen once a day) and we will also take the dreaded belly pic. Hopefully from now on it will be easier to find the h/b since we know where the baby is, unless he is practicing Olympic swimming and going from side to side. So, for now, I am pleased with my decision to rent a doppler, I think it is helping me not to worry so much over every little ache and pain.

Speaking of aches and pains, I have been feeling some soreness in my lower belly when I wake up in the morning, almost like I have been exercising. I have also been feeling a pulling stretching pain in my left side, kind of where my ovary would be. I called my OB and he said that it could be round ligament pain but not to worry unless it is non-stop or I spot or bleed. I also called my OB because my acid reflux began to really become unbearable. I stopped taking my prescription Prilosec because I read that it is a category C medication and may not be safe for pregnancy. I was getting unbearable heartburn no matter what I ate and an intense pressure in my chest that made me feel like I was choking. My Ob said that I cannot take the Prilosec but I should try Zantac 150 twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Let me tell you, I feel so much better now! I still have some mild heartburn here and there but nothing like before!

As for my symptoms, here is what I am dealing with so far:
  • Soreness in my tummy in the mornings, like sore muscles.
  • Pulling and stretching pain on left side.
  • Heartburn, although much better now.
  • Extreme tiredness.
  • And now I have went to just feeling awful in the morning and only puking once (around 6 or 7 weeks) to puking every morning. I thought it was supposed to go the other way, where you start to feel better the closer you get to the second trimester, instead, I feel myself getting worse.
  • Very mild breast tenderness, hardly worth mentioning.

But there is no complaints here, I am feeling extremely blessed to be where I am. I thank God every single day that He has blessed us with this child. I know there are no guarantees, but I find myself slowly believing that we may actually get to bring home a baby in January. I am so excited to finally start the second trimester. Some of my books say it starts at 13 weeks, some say 14, but I'm going with 13 because it is closer. I still can't believe that we are here, it seems like a dream that would never come true.

Lastly, I am sorry that all of my posts have been about pregnancy, and that I have not posted or commented more often. I am still going through that odd phase where I don't know where I belong. To me I will always be an infertile, but I can't help but worry that my joy is causing others pain. I know how it feels to be happy for someone but jealous at the same time. I know how much it hurts to read what others are going through and want it so much for yourself. I will NEVER forget the pain that the last six years has brought me. I will NEVER be one of those women who immediately forget all about the pain of IF when they finally get pregnant. I feel each and every one of your pain so deeply, and I remember how it felt. I still deal with that pain every single day, because while I know I am blessed beyond belief, I still suffer from the same emotions and worries. And you know what? I wouldn't want it any other way. I don't want to ever forget how infertility has changed my life in more ways than I can ever imagine. I don't want to forget what a miracle a child is or how much pain and expense some of us go through to get what others so easily achieve. So please, don't ever think that I have become one of them, someone so wrapped up in their own pregnancy that they forget that there are still so many out there suffering. If I ever act like that, let me know. I talk about my pregnancy a lot because it is what is on my mind 24/7. There isn't a moment of the day when I don't think about our little one. I also have nothing else to discuss because I am either sleeping, working or eating, that's about it! So, that was my long winded slightly pregnancy hormone induced explanation for why my posts and comments have been few and far between and why all of my posts are usually pregnancy related.

Lastly, did any of you watch Baby Borrowers last night? I'm curious what you thought about it. I will tell you my thoughts but I want to see what some of you thought first. Also, do any of you watch So You Think You Can Dance? OMG, I love Twitch, he is just too cute for words! In case you haven't noticed, I am a reality TV junkie!

8 comments:

Meghan said...

Yeah!!! I'm so glad it worked for you. Watch out though, the thing becomes addictive...I would listen every night and probably could have listened forever if my husband wouldn't have made fun of me ;)

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

That's really cool you guys are becoming adept with the doppler. Thank you for sharing about how IF has touched you and that it hasn't changed because now you are a mommy. I hope you are feeling better soon, all your symptoms sound like "normal pregnancy" (which I know you are not, you are unique and exceptional in everyway!! ;oD) Sending my best to you, Doozer, and your ball playing hubby.

Maria said...

I'm so happy that the doppler worked and you got to hear little Doozer's heart beat!!

AwkwardMoments said...

Sounds like your symptoms and emotions are par for IF going through pregnancy. I am so glad that you love the dopplar - I absolutely LOVED hearing the hb - it was my fav thing about being pregnant.

I did watch baby burrowers and I thought there is no way in hell i could give my child up for a few days first off - second off - those teenagers REALLY needed this experiment - talk about lack of maturity and respect. I think the parents of hte children handled things so well.

Stace said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you!!! Keep listening to that heartbeat!! And keep updating! Can't wait to see the belly shot!!

And, at least from my view, don't worry about updating us and feeling like you're leaving "us" behind. I, for one, am so excited for you and so happy for you. Your success shows me that this can really work out. And I know when it works for me, I'll be just as excited and absorbed in it. :) And I refuse to think that's a bad thing-- why not get excited for something you have worked so hard for????

So keep it up... keep staying healthy and helping little Doozer grow!

Baby and Me said...

I have been thinking about renting one but I wasnt sure if it would be worth it. You have made me want to look into getting one now!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are having success with the doppler....I would have it on me all day long!!! :)
Yes, I watched Baby Borrowers....crazy!!! I was glad to know they had a Nanny watching over their shoulder...the one gal having a fit about having to wear the belly was ridulous!!!! Um, if you don't like it, then why did you sign up for the show???? And the other gal getting bad when the baby wouldn't eat in the high chair...yeah, it was pretty bad. Don't think I would have been able to lend out my baby for that one!!!!
And yes, I am in love with Twitch!!!! He is amazing!!!!

Morgan Owens said...

Thank goodness for dopplers!! About the pain, I had the same problem and was told it was more than likely my uterus already beginning to stretch...and I also had a problem with the acid reflux and they gve me Nexium which she said is perfectly safe for pregnancy...think about asking for a prescription of it..it has been my miracle!!