Monday, February 18, 2008

Approved!

Well, I got a letter in the mail from my RE’s office saying that my insurance approved the IVF! They approved three cycles of IVF (which is the max they will pay for) although we cannot afford to do three. I think we can only afford to do one but DH says he thinks we can do two. Does anyone know how much medication you usually use? Meaning instead of like 75 ius a night do you use double or triple that? Either way, I am sure there will be other costs other than the deposit and the medications. I guess I need to meet with someone to go over exactly what the deposit that we pay covers and what is extra. Hopefully DH will get a new job soon and he will get insurance that covers IVF. Maryland law mandates that insurance companies cover IVF except for HMOs (which our insurance just happens to be) and except for employers who have 15 employees or less (which my work does.) Honestly, I’m scared. It seems like such a big expense for possibly a one time shot. But, we can’t do anything until I get my 401k refund back anyway which should be sometime soon.

Does anyone else notice that because you are doing IF treatments everyone around you assumes that you are going to have twins? I don’t know how many times I have gotten some comment like “I just know you are going to have twins.” I feel like I need to start carrying around brochures about the myths of infertility to hand them out every time someone makes a stupid comments like, “but you’re so young.” Um, thanks, being young has nothing to do with the fact that I have a medical disorder that keeps me from getting pregnant. Just the same, just because I am doing IF treatments does not mean that I will walk away with a litter. In fact, it is my understanding that IVF has a lower incidence of multiples than other treatments. Anyway, just me rambling.

Please pray that DH gets a job offer soon so that we can get better insurance coverage.

12 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

woohoo for that insurance that authorizes 3 ivf's!! That si great news.

When i was doing injectibles - and my last iui supposedly failed - He suggested I consider IVF - he told me that my injectible schedule would basically stay the same ( except add in bcp in the beginning) I dunno if that helps any since i did not have to do an IVF cycle.

That is really sad news about your brother! I am so sorry to hear all of this. Feelings are something you just work through ya know. They just are - and we just deal with them accordingly!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your brother...maybe this will do the trick.

I have no advice on the meds, we ordered ours from an online pharmacy (ivfmeds.com).

And, since you're so young all you have to do is relax, raise your hips/legs, have sex on the right days, and, um, yeah, have twins. Or, do the above plus build/buy a house and/or go on vacation.

DebbieDo said...

Yeah for the approval! That is so great! I wish CA had that same rules as Maryland, nothing is covered her :(

I think you are doing the right thing (and your mom too) by distancing yourself from your brother. He seems really lost right now and needs to figure things out on his own. Enabling him won't help him anymore. Best of luck with that.

Also I totally know what you are talking about with the myths of IF. Seriously all my friends think we are having twins but my first beta was 119...which is most likely a singleton. Anyway, I'm over being the poster child of IF for my friends, ha.

Best of luck to DH on finding a new job. I'm sure something fabulous will come along soon!

My_Herstory said...

Congrats on the 3 rounds of covered IVF!! That's exciting!

I certainly send wishes that your DH gets his new job!

Rebecca said...

Great news about the coverage - ONWARD!!!

Horrible news about your brother, but you're right in what you're saying to your Mom...it will be harder for her to accept, but she'll have to come around to it. We had similar issues with my brother (not the AWOL thing, but definitely the series of bad decisions).

Good luck with everything and here's to moving on!

CAM said...

I am excited for you and the good insurance news. My IUI meds were basically the same protocol as when I did the IVF. I have leftover meds from my last cycle - my insurance covers the entire cost of the meds so maybe I will have something you can use. Leave your email on my blog and maybe I can help out.
As far as your brother - that is just terrible. But, sometimes someone needs to get so low before they can see the way up. Hang in there and keep posting.
:)

The Beauty Junkie said...

Geez where to start?! Well so glad that you're approved for the IVF. So sorry about your brother. I'm a Marine brat and that is awful to go AWOL. Just disgraceful.

And thanks for mentioning those comments. Yes we're all "too young" and having twins lol. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Erin said...

I'm so happy you got your approval! As for the meds, it depends on how well you respond as to how much you'll need. I've pretty much maintained the same amounts for all 3 of my cycles. I am a good responder though. The lowest amount of eggs retrieved for me was 18! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what meds your RE has you taking, but this may be of some help to you. http://www.fertilitylifelines.com/paying/fertilityassist/index.jsp

Adriane said...

I bet your RE's office will be able to advise you on potential costs? Hope so!

Sorry to hear about your brother. Hope this doesn't add too much more stress to your life right now.

Maria said...

Congratulations! That is such amazing news with getting coverage! IVF here you come. Please let me know if you need any Gonal-f, I have a few unopened boxes left from my IVF cycle and I want them to go to a good home.

So sorry to hear about your brother, but I'm glad that the army wont pursue him. You are totally right, he needs to fix his own life. It's up to him, not you and your mom.

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

How horribly stressful for you!!! Yikes! My fingers are crossed that DH gets a job with better coverage.

As for your brother's choices, I agree with your analysis. He is an adult and needs to make his own mistakes. Hopefully, he will get himself into a good place soon.

XOXO