Sunday, October 21, 2007

Gettysburg Weekend

Well, we got back from our Gettysburg trip late last night. We had a great but interesting time. When we left Friday night it began to pour down rain. So bad that we could barely see the road! When we finally got to the hotel we were supposed to stay at, which is this one:

The girl at the desk spent several minutes looking on her computer and asking again and again how to spell our last name. I knew something was wrong when after five minutes she still hadn't found our reservations. Then she finally found our reservation but told us that they had us booked for NEXT weekend and not this weekend. She then went on to tell us that they had no rooms available that night. So, we had to cancel our incorrect reservation and back out into the rain we went! After stopping at several hotels and being told over and over that they had no rooms available we began to worry that we were going to be sleeping in our car, or turning around and driving all the way back home. Finally someone working behind the counter at the last hotel we stopped at told us that there was only one hotel in town that had available rooms. So, we drove 5 miles outside of Gettysburg to the Eisenhower Hotel. We found the hotel but the parking lot was confusing. We ended up driving around a circle that lead to nowhere with several other cars before we finally figured out how to get to the entrance of the hotel. By this time we are both starving. We were finally able to get a room but we had to pay about $50 more than what our original hotel room was. The room was really nice and actually pretty large:

After we put our things in the room we headed off to get something to eat. While eating dinner we were both exhausted and giggly. Anyone who knows me knows that I sometimes have a tendancy to talk loud, especially when I am tired. We were discussing what I packed in our suitcase and I made a rather loud comment about how Shawn had a pair of holy underwear. Basically the whole place heard me and Shawn turned red! lol! (That's what he gets for not letting me throw away the holy undies!)

The next morning we decided we were going to have breakfast in the hotel. We could smell breakfast but darn if we could find where we were supposed to go! The hotel was like one big maze (just like the parking lot). We never did find where they served breakfast so instead we had breakfast at the Avenue in town where we sat behind a couple who was very loudly discussing child support payments (we are so nosy!).

After breakfast we spent the day driving around the battlefield. We took some beautiful pictures. Here are a couple of them.

This is Shawn checking out the inside of a cannon. Do you see anything in there Shawn?

Actually, yes, he did see something in there! Have you ever seen the inside of a cannon? Pretty cool huh?

Obviously I did a little editing to this picture. I thought it was pretty neat though. This was on the corner of the field where Pickett's Charge took place.

I was impersonating a squirrel here.

Here I am listening to the cannon...don't ask..really.

Here is a picture Shawn took of me.


Here we are together.


And again.

After driving and walking around the battelfield all day we were ready for dinner. We had planned on eating at General Pickett's Buffet. They have great food and we have eaten there a few times and were always pleased with the food. While we were waiting to be seated a tour bus full of 45 people showed up and apparently had reservations. Then another tour bus of 45 showed up too. They also apparently had reservations. At this point we decided it would be no fun having to wait in line for food with so many people in the place so we decided to try to go somewhere else. Bad idea! We drove around Gettysburg for another hour trying to find a place to eat only to find out that everywhere had a 45 minute wait or longer. We couldn't wait because we had scheduled to go on the Ghosts of Gettysburg tour at 8:15. So we finally decided to get dinner at Wendys and drive back through the battelfield in the dark and do some ghost hunting. It was really neat to be out on the battlefield in the dark and also a bit creepy. There were several other people out there taking pictures also. You could look out over the battlefiled and see camera flashes everywhere. By the way, we didn't catch any ghosts on film. Oh well..

Then we went on our ghost tour. We went on the Seminary Ridge tour and met the guide and the rest of the people going on the tour (all 120 of them!) There was a group of about 10 very annoying boyscouts in front of us. They split our group into three smaller groups and I specifically told Shawn that I hoped that we didn't end up in their group. Guess what, we did! But they were actually pretty quiet besides asking some lame questions. The tour was pretty cool. We walked throug the grounds of the seminary and heard some ghost stories. I told Shawn as we walked through the fields that I hoped that we didn't step on dog poop, guess what...I did! I swear, I am not going to say anything that I don't want to happen because apparently God has a sick sense of humor! I ended up riding home with no shoes and no pants and a blanket over my lap!

We took a lot of pictures during the tour but because it was so dark most of them didn't come out. I did take one picture of a building that was used as a field hospital during the war. The story was that people still hear the screaming of the soldiers that were in the basement of the building getting amputations. I got a pretty cool picture although my personal opinion is that it is just matrixing. But anyway, here it is.

Do you see a screaming face in this picture? If you dont I took the liberty of circling the face that I see.

Now, let me make it clear that I do NOT think that this is a picture of a ghost. Even an amiture ghost hunter knows that you never take pictures into mirrors or windows because of the reflections. But it is a creepy picture either way.

Well, that's about it for our trip. We had a lot of fun and got the relaxation that we were looking for prior to beginning our IVF cycle. Now we are well rested and ready to go. By the way, since this is technically a blog about IVF, I got AF on Saturday so today is CD2. So tomorrow I will need to call American Radiology and schdule my HSG! Then maybe we can finally start! Stay tuned...

No comments: