Thursday, September 25, 2008

24 Weeks & 6 Years

No, I don’t mean it has been 6 years since I have posted (although it seems like it.) Again, I apologize for the lack of posting. I have been so busy at work and exhausted by the time that I get home that I haven’t had much energy to sit down and type a post. Nothing exciting is going on here, same old same old. We hit 24 weeks yesterday! I had a bit of a stomach virus yesterday so I had to call out of work. I ended up sleeping all day and I feel better now. Baby Noah is moving around like crazy and his kicks are getting stronger and stronger. I have noticed his “busy time” seems to be in the evening from about 7 to 11 p.m. he kicks during the day but is really active at night. I hope this is no indication of his sleep pattern when he is born but I have a feeling it is. Shawn is now able to feel him move from the outside and he gets the most amazed look on his face when he does. It is so cute! I have also noticed that he prefers the left side and sometimes when he sleeps my belly is lopsided to the left! My blood sugars are doing okay. We have had to continue to adjust the insulin and will probably have to do so throughout the whole pregnancy but the doctor said even though my levels are higher than normal they are still pretty good compared to other people. At my last appointment I asked my OB what the future holds as far as any tests that need to be done. She said that I will have a growth u/s every 3 weeks to make sure baby isn’t getting too big or not growing enough. We will continue to do them every 3 weeks unless they notice he is not growing properly and then they will do them more often. I will also be doing an NST at every visit from here on out to check on baby’s well being. I’m not sure what this entails so if anyone has had one and wants to share their experiences let me know. I can’t believe how close we are to the third trimester! I hope and pray that everything continues to go as well as it has been. I know it hasn’t been perfect but I’ll take it!

I also found out my shower date is November 22nd! I am so excited! My MIL let me look over the guest list and she is inviting about 70 people! My bridal shower was huge and it was loads of fun so I am sure the baby shower will be the same. Someone or several someones have already purchased our entire nursery set! I told my MIL that the shower doesn’t need to be co-ed but I want it to be a shower for both Shawn and I. I want Shawn to be a part of it because it is just as much his baby as it is mine. Plus, if there is going to be 60-70 people there I will need help opening gifts. I also told my MIL that I will help her make the center pieces. She is planning on doing a diaper cake with a different theme for each of the tables. She showed me the invites (there isn’t much about this shower that is a surprise but that’s the way I wanted it) and they are Noah’s Arc theme, too cute! I suggested the diaper lottery as a game (each person bring a pack of diapers and enters their guess for the birth date and wins a prize if they get it right) but my MIL wants to do the thing where you ask people to bring books instead of cards. I would much rather have the diapers than the books but she is planning the shower so I didn’t say anything. Either way it will be great and I love to read so I will have lots to read to the baby.

Shawn and I celebrated our 6 year wedding anniversary on September 14th. That also marked 6 years since we began trying to have a baby. We didn’t really do much to celebrate and we never get each other gifts. We did take a day trip this Saturday and that was nice. First we went to Arlington cemetery and took some pictures of some of my family member’s graves for my family tree. Then we went to Mt. Vernon (the place where Washington lived and is now buried) and toured the house and the grounds. It was nice to get out of the house for a change. This weekend will be an in the house weekend though because our house is a mess due to my laziness and needs a serious cleaning! We also need to start emptying out Noah’s room to shampoo the carpets and clean out the closet so when the furniture arrives we will have somewhere to put it. Right now the room serves as storage and the “litter box room.”

Well, that’s about it for now, I wish I had more to say. I will definitely try to post more often. If you could, let me know you are still reading so I know I still have some readers out there somewhere!

17 comments:

sara said...

Congrats again on the 24 wks! And your shower is on my husband's and my brother's birthdays - very cool :-) As far as the NST- they just let you sit in a comfy chair, hook you up to a two little elastic belts with round monitors on them that they place on your belly. On measures the baby's heartrate, and the other is called a toco monitor and would detect any contractions if you had them. You stay on anywhere from 20 min to 45 usually. You get to hear the baby's heartbeat the whole time - sometimes they move and it gets silent for awhile and they have to readjust the one belt and "refind" the baby - especially the smaller or less far along you are the baby the more they move and play hide and sneak it seems. The strip prints out and someone watches once the NST is done - or a few times throughout - to make sure that the baby's heartrate elevates 10 beats and stays elevated for so many seconds every so many minutes. They want to make sure your baby alters his heartrate at different times and that there is variability. These are all good things. Hope this helps. Glad to see your update and happy belated anniversary! ((hugs))

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Hi, Mo, so glad you are doing well and Noah is getting his soccer practice in. Your shower plans sound wonderful, can't wait to see pictures. My vote, (not that anyone asked me ;oD) is for folks to bring books OR diapers, whatever they want to get your son. ((Hugs))

Beth said...

Congrats on hitting 24 weeks! I have noticed Connelly moving around more at night too. I am getting so excited and it sounds like you guys are too. Congrats again.

Summer said...

I feel the same with my little one, more activity at night. Supposedly, it's because you are more active during the day which lulls the little guy to sleep. But when you're less active at night, they tend to act up more. I certainly hope it's true and not because it's an indication of things to come!

Erin said...

A day trip sounds like fun. I am a big fan of co-ed showers. Our wedding shower was and it was a blast. Congrats on 6 years. I hope I get to see you soon!

CJ said...

Yes, I am still reading on the one every 2 weeks posts! I understand you're busy. :) Glad things are well with your little boy! Shower sounds exciting! I have like 50 people on my guest list also. I hope to see more posts often.

Hugs!

Stace said...

Congrats! What a milestone! I'm still reading-- and check back all the time for updates! Can't wait to hear about the next few months and your shower!!! :) I hope everything continues just as smoothly!

Stace said...

Congrats! What a milestone! I'm still reading-- and check back all the time for updates! Can't wait to hear about the next few months and your shower!!! :) I hope everything continues just as smoothly!

Candi said...

Glad you are doing well! Showers are exciting!! Are you a registry stalker like me? Not a day goes by that I don't look at mine to see if anyone got anything! Today, I was pleasantly suprised when I saw that my dresser and breast pump had been purchased!

The Beauty Junkie said...

Aww Mo that's so sweet. And the Noah's Arc theme is so cute. You can count on diapers being sent from me missy.

shawna said...

I am so glad that you have made it to 24 weeks. Your shower sounds like alot of fun. I can't wait to see pictures.

sarah23 said...

Your shower sounds great!! I am kinda sad because I have a small family and even though I am from San Diego, all of my "old friends" moved away, and I didn't really get a chance to meet any new ones before I met S. So basically, my friends are S's friends wives (who are great!) and a few people from work. I feel like my shower is going to be pretty small, though. Ah well.

Making Babies said...

I'm still reading :) I can't believe you are over the half way mark already. I love co-ed showers. DH and I had one with our DD. He enjoyed it as much as I did. :)

Rebecca said...

1. You're not lazy, you're pregnant.
2. Thanks for giving me the idea about Mt. Vernon...always looking for things to do.
3. The NST is not a big deal. They have you sit in a chair, recline, and they put a monitor on your belly to monitor the baby's heartbeat and whether or not you're having contractions. It can take as little as 20 minutes or sometimes up to an hour (mine never did).
4. I am so happy that things are going well. I haven't checked in a while, so congrats! You're doing great!

sara said...

Happy 25 wks!!!!

Amy B said...

I can't believe you are almost in 3rd trimester. That is amazing. I hope all continues to go well.

Amy B said...

I can't believe you are almost in 3rd trimester. That is amazing. I hope all continues to go well.