Thursday, September 4, 2008

21 Weeks Down, 19 to Go!

Wow, I can’t believe we are already half way through this pregnancy. Sometimes when I look back it seems that it has taken forever and other times it seems like it has flown by. So you’re probably wondering what I have been up to lately? I’m not even sure if I have any readers left, I have been a crappy blogger and I know it. It’s hard because I am no longer doing treatments and I don’t have anything to talk about other than the pregnancy. Do all of you continually want to hear about that? My life just isn’t that exciting right now. However, in the event that you do care about my boring existence (and I hope someone does) here is what has been going on with me:

I’m feeling okay other than the back issues which I expect to have throughout the whole pregnancy. I have been feeling baby Noah kick stronger and stronger. Since about 19 weeks it went from teenie tiny taps to thumps. I still can’t feel him from the outside but I can’t really be sure because he never kicks in the same spot twice. He is a busy bee! I can’t wait until Shawn can feel it! It is the most amazing feeling in the world and I am in awe every single time that there is a living being inside of me. It feels so odd to feel something moving inside of you. I also think he likes to sleep curled up on the left side because I can often feel stretching or tightening on the left side and then I will have a small hard lump on my left side.

As far as the GD goes my sugars have been running a little high for my fasting sugars and also the one after breakfast. I saw my OB on Friday and he bumped up my insulin in the evening and also added 5 units to the mornings right before I eat. So now I am up to 2 shots a day. Not fun but I’m not complaining because I am thankful that everything else seems to be going well. I have to get a special ultrasound done on September 10th called a fetal echo. I believe it is an ultrasound specifically to look at the baby’s heart. The reason I have to get the ultrasound done is because of the GD. I am hoping that they look at other parts of the baby as well because I really want some updated pictures and a confirmation that he really is a boy since our “big” ultrasound was nothing but a “big” disappointment. I will feel much better when I know all is well with his heart because he has never been in a favorable position for them to check out his little heart.

I had my first (and hopefully last) unexpected visit to the L&D at 19w6d. I began having some tightening pains throughout the day that were becoming increasingly painful. I called my OB around 4:30 and they said that because they were about to close I had to go to L&D. They hooked me up to a contraction monitor and although I could continually feel the pains nothing at all was showing up on the monitor so I have no idea what the pains were and I haven’t had them since. They also did an internal (I HATE these things, they are painful as hell!) which showed my cervix was still nice and closed. They did a quickie u/s just to check the baby’s heartbeat. I didn’t get to see anything except for cute little feet and a beating heart. The most annoying part of the whole visit was waiting in the waiting room with a young couple who had to be the most annoying people in the world. I didn’t feel good and really didn’t feel like “chatting it up” with a pregnant college co-ed and her annoying boyfriend. She was there because her “calves hurt.” The boyfriend was asking us all kinds of questions and it took everything I had to not tell them to take their fertile asses over to the corner and leave me the hell alone. They acted like they were on a trip to the zoo or something, “oh, look at this” “look at that.” In the end I’m glad it all turned out fine and I hope that the next time I am there is not until baby is ready to come out.

I also found myself on “the other side of the fence” recently. It wasn’t so long ago that the sight of a pregnant woman would send me into an emotional tailspin and unfortunately I was the source of someone else’s pain recently. Shawn and I met some friends at the Fair a couple of weeks ago and Shawn’s friend’s wife’s sister (you got that all that right?) When we were walking around the sister suddenly burst into tears and rushed off. We had no idea why she was upset and I didn’t find out until about a week later. Apparently the sister and her husband were recently told that the only way they could have a baby was to do IVF. I don’t know the specifics but I do know it had something to do with her husband. Apparently my pregnancy made her upset and she had to rush off. No one in her family knew anything about them having problems conceiving and didn’t find out until they questioned her about why she was upset. It made me sad to know that my pregnancy could cause someone else pain. I guess I just always assumed that somehow because it took us so long that people would automatically know. Maybe I should get a tattoo or wear a shirt?

Lastly, we finally ordered our nursery furniture. We went back up to the Amish store and ordered it. It is made of oak and will be hand made just for our little one! They said it will be ready in 10-12 weeks which I think is perfect timing.

9 comments:

Candi said...

Glad you are doing well. Keep up the good work!! And yes, we always want to hear your updates!

The Beauty Junkie said...

So glad that you checked in. Glad you're doing well.

CJ said...

Sounds like things are going well. SOrry to hear about you insulin shots, but the baby is doing great! Yea, people really never know what you go through yourself.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Your wonderful updates always bring a smile. I can't wait to hear great news with the fetal echo. Amish furniture, how delightful! Sorry about your husband's friend's sister in law's struggles (think I just broke some grammar rules there). You are very kind. ((Hugs)) BTW, my life is very boring, just the way I like it!

Stace said...

I cannot believe that you're so far along! I started reading right about the time you did this IVF and it feels like time has flown! :) Good luck for the next 19 weeks-- may they be uneventful. :D

Erin said...

I care about your existence. I am excited that little Noah is halfway here. If that makes sense...Too bad about you beng pg causeing someone else pain. I vote for the tattoo idea to let people know you went through a hell of alot to get this miracle. Yup, right on your forehead (I did TONS of treatments for a baby) it has a nice ring...

sara said...

I love hearing updates from you - and yes, please keep telling me what's new in your day to day stuff because I find it interesting! Sorry about the L & D visit (and especially the internals..ouch..yes not fun.) But I'm glad things were okay. I hope you don't get any more of those icky pains, and that your insulin dose stays the same with no more increases. You have been a real trooper with all the blood sugar testing and having to do shots. You don't even complain! Honestly - that's amazing. I'm so happy to see you more than half way there - where the heck does the time go? Very cool about ordering the furniture - I think I mentioned that my husband's family lives near several Amish furniture stores in Ohio and the stuff is GORGEOUS!

Baby and Me said...

Sounds like everything is going well, yeah!

shawna said...

I am so glad that things are going so well!