Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Registry Madness Leads to Pregnant Woman's Confusion

Hello there! Once again I have been a bad blogger and for that I apologize! Every time I think I have a blog entry planned out I sit down to type and I forget everything I was going to say. I am doing fine, baby Noah is doing fine. I had a doctor’s appointment on Friday and I made sure to tell the NP (both OBs were on vacation) how awful the u/s tech was and how I did not want to go back to him. His report still wasn’t in on Friday nor was it in yesterday so I need to wait for his report to come in so that my OB can order a follow-up u/s. The NP also told me that I will need to get a special ultrasound called a fetal echo. Some sort of ultrasound on the baby’s heart due to the fact that I am on insulin. I am supposed to call and schedule that today. The u/s will be done at University of Maryland Hospital by someone specifically trained to do these types of u/s. I also asked if there was any possibility that I would be allowed to come in every 4 weeks like “normal” pregnant women as opposed to every 2 weeks. The NP, as well as the nurse I spoke to yesterday, told me that I will most likely continue to come in every 2 weeks because I am high risk (I really HATE that phrase.) The nurse also told me that starting at 27 weeks I will have to come in every 2 weeks anyway. So it looks like I will be seeing a lot of my doctor over the next few months.

We registered on Saturday! It was way more overwhelming than I expected. Mainly in the feeding department. There are so many choices about which bottles to use that we got totally confused. We ended up scanning all of the ones we liked and then going home and reading the reviews and narrowing it down.

I also noticed that registering brought out all kinds of assvice from people I didn’t know. One woman saw me looking at slings in BRU and told me that a sling is a waste of money because her baby didn’t like it. I just smiled and nodded and scanned the sling. Just because her baby didn’t like it doesn’t mean mine won’t. Another lady came up to me and told me I MUST get this specific type of stroller. Again I just smiled and walked away. I mean seriously, am I the only person who doesn’t feel comfortable going up to strangers and telling them what to do? All in all it was a fun experience but I’m still not sure if we picked the right items. I figure we have some time yet before people start buying things off of the registry so we can make changes if we need to. If anyone has any free time and is interested in checking out our registries and letting me know what you think I would be grateful. You can go on BRU’s website and also on Baby Depot’s website and search “Morrisa Vollmerhausen” and you should find our registries. I’m not looking for anyone to lecture me about why I shouldn’t use a sling, or that a swing is a waste of money because your baby didn’t like it. I know all babies are different and my baby may hate something that someone else’s loved, or the other way around. What I am looking for is whether I missed anything, something that you used a lot that I didn’t think of, whether there is a particular type of product that I have on there that you had problems with…etc. I will leave you with a few specific questions about the registry and a question about doctor’s appointments.

-Breast pump- rent or buy?: I put two different breast pumps on the registry because I wasn’t sure which one I liked better but they are so expensive! The chances of anyone actually buying it off of the registry is pretty slim. So we will probably end up paying for one ourselves. My question is, is it better to rent one from the hospital or buy one? If we do end up renting one will I still need all of the accessories we registered for? Did I miss any accessories? For instance, they had nipple shields there, do I need that? What is the best type of storage for breast milk, there were so many different options? HELP!

-Bottle sterilizer or dishwasher?: For some reason I was under the assumption that you could wash bottles in the dishwasher, is this not true? We registered for a bottle sterilizer but do we really need it?

- Which type of bottle is best?: We registered for three different types of bottles, one we liked because it said it was like the breast but it didn’t have drop-ins and wasn’t BPA free as far as I can tell. We also registered for the Playtex drop-ins because I figured they would be easier to clean and I would only need to clean the nipples and could maybe even store the breast milk in the bags? The last ones were the Medula bottles that were the same brand as the pump. Any suggestions? What worked best for you or what did you register for?

- When did you start feeling definite stronger movements? I’m getting impatient! I’m still only feeling little flutters and very infrequently, really only once a day.

- Lastly, why do you need to be seen more often once you hit 27 weeks? What do they do that is different at those appointments as opposed to what they do now (Check HB, weight, BP, urine)?

I’m sure I have more questions but that is all I can think of for now. My next post coming up may be what I think about the contestants in the Big Brother House so far. Do I have any Big Brother fans reading?

P.S. 19 weeks tomorrow! I can’t believe we are almost ½ way there!

P.S.S. My one year blogoversary is in 5 days!!!

15 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Wow, Mo, lots going on for you all, so glad the babe is happy and well. Sorry for the a$$vice, it's a joke, you are so right on, some babies like slings, some don't, some like swings, some don't. They all have a personality fresh out of the box, just like us big people! Sorry you have to spend some much time at OB office, 2 weeks for diabetic mommy is normal. 2 week checks at 7 months is standard practice, monitoring is crucial for both of you, BP, sugar, and baby position can be very labile.
Baby stuff is overwhelming and I have ancient history for some of the stuff. Here goes: bought Medela breast pump for 2nd son, rented a hospital grade w/1st son and loved both pumps, portable one is great. I pumped right into the bags, froze, then thawed and used the milk all in the same bag. I liked the Avent bottles and nipples because that's what the kids liked. We used a microwave sterilizer, very convenient. You can use a dishwasher as long as it gets hot enough, typically for children over 6 months, check w/pediatrician. Not sure about nipple shields, they are usually for sore nipples, but pads are good to have for leaks. Ah, mothering is a messy business. I hope you and S are enjoying this too. Also, didn't feel the baby more vigorously until 20 weeks. Sorry for long comment and ((Hugs)) You can email me anytime, take care.

Stace said...

Hahaha... so I can't answer any questions or tell you what to register for, butttt I can say I am very happy that little Noah is still growing strong!! Keep it up! And while I was reading I thought of something witty to say, but I can't think of it now... :)

Summer said...

I have some of the same questions you do and no good answers. But, I started reading this book called Baby Bargains and besides info on where to find good deals, they rate different brands/companies for various baby items.

shawna said...

I can't wait to see the answers. The only one that I can offer any insight is the breast pump, and I am probably WAY outdated. When Delaney was a baby, 11 years ago, the hospital grade ones were much more efficient. Basically, you are comparing a $1000 model to a $400 one. The difference was amazing.
Thanks for your advice about the NT Scan. I am pretty sure that we are going to skip it.

Candi said...

Glad little Noah is doing good. I have millions of questions, too! LOL...pregnancy is confusing! I am a BB fan. I am in loooooooove with Memphis...he's nice to look at!!

Erin said...

I know registering can be overwhelming. I nannied for years and also helped Holly register. I know ALOT about baby products and I don't have a child to tell you he didn't like something. Please feel free to ask me any questions. As for the breast pump, I think it all depends on how long you plan to nurse. Also, just my assvice, the avent storage system is better than drop ins for breast milk, especially if you plan to take Noah to a daycare.

Erin said...

I forgot to say that everyone I know has used the Medela pump and loved it!

The Beauty Junkie said...

Girl, it was so much easier for me to register online and to read user reviews. There's so much to choose from!

Baby and Me said...

Me too on the questions front. I am registering in two weeks so I am going to use your lista s a starting point.
I had to go in and see a specialty ultrasound tech too. Dont worry they are super nice and not much different than your other one. They do spend a lot of time on baby heart which is so neat!

Agata said...

I already told you some of this when we had dinner, but here it goes anyway:

1. Rent a breastpump, don't bother buying it. The hospital grade pump I rented was amazing and even though I registered for one and got one, I returned it unused and bought other necessary things for the baby with the $.

2. I used to boil and sterilize everything everyday. Until I got smart (and tired of burning my hands). Dishwasher is just fine - it gets so hot in there, it does a fine job sterilizing things for you. And use the Playtex Premium Nurser bottles with the drop-in inserts - they are fabulous bottles, the disposable inserts are a time saver since you don't have to constantly wash the bottles - only the nipples and rings. They also worked fabulously on my child since the drop-in liners collapse on themselves and leave less air for the baby to suck in. They're by far my favorites (and we've tried other bottles in the first few months)

3. Ignore strangers and their strange advice. It's just natural for people to want to advice a newly pregnant woman, but you are correct - just because something worked for my baby doesn't mean that it will work for yours.

4. My advice on items you must get: a Diaper Champ (best thing ever!) and the Munchkin brand baskets to wash bottle nipples and bottle rings in the dishwasher with.

5. My advice on items you should skip: a wipes warmer - you can warm the wipe up in your hands before you use it on the baby - but the baby will be used to a cool wipe and it won't be a big deal. If he's always used to a warm wipe straight from the warmer, it makes changes in public more difficult (as I've seen with my friends) because the cold sensation is new to them. My kiddo was never bothered with a cold wipe - even when asleep. Skip a bottle sterilizer (use the dishwasher!) and skip the breastpump and spend the $250-300 on something more important - rent a great pump instead.

sara said...

So many good things to comment on. First of all - congrats on registering, 19 wks, and you blogoversary! Sorry about people's stupid assvice, I guess that's the only good thing about having to register from home on my couch. I think I might buy a breast pump (I registered for a Medela one) - but I know a ton of people who have been happy renting them as well. I am a big brother fan...so talk away. I would love to dish about the series!

I never really felt the flutters - just transitioned to full kicks around 18 wks or so. As far as the 27 wk and forward appointment...I'm not really sure what's different. Oh yeah - my sister just did the dishwasher thing as long as you get the stuff thoroughly cleaned and dried. But that said - my friend swore by the sterilizer. I didn't register for one. Sorry I'm not being very helpful...but I think that everyone seems to have different opinions. What really mystified me was bottles and nipples. Drop in or no drop in. Who the heck knows. I just went off of what my sister used and liked. Ahh....I always feel so clueless. ((hugs))

Rachie Pachie said...

LOL... no answers to your questions, but gotta love the advice from everyone @ the store.

I mean, do people really think they're being helpful? Or are they that absorbed that they must "show you the/their way". Hmm.

Hope you & Noah are doing well! :)

sara said...

Happy 20 weeks there!

My_Herstory said...

Happy half way!!!!

Stacemoe said...

Only one other BB fan???? I am one too and love Dan and Memphis...can't wait to see Renny go this week!!! I hate her voice.
I am so sorry to hear about your horrible ultrasound experience...that is totally unacceptable and if I were you, I would go higher up, find out who his supervisor is and report him. Totally ridulous!!!! I am truly sorry you had to go through that. Please keep us posted if there are any consequences for what happened.
Hope you are feeling better and your back pain goes away as much as possible. Keeping you, DH and sweet Noah in my prayers!