Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bed Rest (35w0d)

Well, the good news is that I will have a lot more time to blog. The bad news is that my doctor put me on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. I really thought that those pesky contractions would be my demise but it turned out to be something totally different. The past couple times that I have been at the doctors my blood pressure has been slightly elevated. My baseline BP is usually kind of low and I have never had a problem with my BP. The past few times my bottom number has been in the 90s and they have told me that my BP was up from my normal BP. Yesterday my BP was 128/98. When my doctor saw how swollen my hands and feet were he declared that yesterday had to be my last day at work. He told me that I need to be at home, laying on my left side until baby comes. It was totally unexpected and I was a little upset. He also told me that if my BP got above 140/110 he would put me in the hospital. So obviously we are trying to avoid that. The bad news is that my "bed rest" time will be unpaid. My boss has given me a few things to take home that I can work on which should help me earn a little money. I also got a Christmas bonus yesterday which is equal to almost 2 weeks pay so that will help. The main thing is that I want baby to be healthy and I don't want to be in the hospital. I feel sorry for my husband because this leaves everything in his hands, earning the money, cooking, cleaning, and doing all last minute preparations. He of course is being amazing as always. I know we will get through it, some of you have been on bed rest much longer. I have another doctor's appointment on Friday and I have a few questions for the doctor that I didn't ask yesterday due to my surprise. I want to know if I will still be allowed to go to 40 weeks or if they will deliver early since I am on bed rest. I want to do what ever is best for the baby. Well, anyway, expect to hear a lot more out of me. I didn't sleep well last night so I am going to try to take a nap before my boss starts calling me. I'll be back!

6 comments:

Summer said...

My SIL had to be on complete bedrest in the hospital due to swelling and high blood pressure (but she was carrying twins at the time). They let her go as long as her BP did not get too high and there was not a high level of protein in her urine. As soon as those got too high, they had her deliver. So, I think what will probably happen now is that they will keep monitoring you.

Bedrest is tough. I know my SIL had a tough time of it even though it was what was best for the babies. Try to find things you can do in bed to keep busy!

Erin said...

My prayers are with you and Shawn. I hope that you don't lose your mind while you're on bed rest. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I expect a call when Noah arrives!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Please take good care, Mo and I will be thinking of you.

The doctor's office should fill in your disability paperwork so you can start receiving that as soon as possible. I hope this helps reduce your stress about finances.

((Hugs))

Rachie Pachie said...

Sorry to hear about that! :(

Although, like you said, it's best for Noah & I'm glad they caught it before it became a problem.

The bonus sounds nice! That will definitely help! Will they cover salary after you have him while on maternity leave?

Princesses in Muddy Puddles said...

Oooo Noah is going to be here soon! xo

Emily said...

Sorry about the bed rest... I'm sending you healthy baby and low blood pressure vibes!